Old 17-01-2012, 07:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Simon[_2_] Simon[_2_] is offline

Default Hedge timming advise please

Hi there,

I planted an oval leaf privet hedge 7 years ago and as it was mainly
used for pivacy, I let the hedge grow tall rather than wide. It has
been at the right heigfht for a few years now, but does not seem to be
that bushy. What's the best time of year to really cut the hedge back
and should I lop off a couple ofr feet from the top and trim the sides
right back, would that make the hedge grow a bit bushier? Do I do
this before spring or should I wait untiul March before hacking away
at it?

Thanks in advance!
Simon