Old 17-01-2012, 07:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hedge timming advise please

Hi there,

I planted an oval leaf privet hedge 7 years ago and as it was mainly
used for pivacy, I let the hedge grow tall rather than wide. It has
been at the right heigfht for a few years now, but does not seem to be
that bushy. What's the best time of year to really cut the hedge back
and should I lop off a couple ofr feet from the top and trim the sides
right back, would that make the hedge grow a bit bushier? Do I do
this before spring or should I wait untiul March before hacking away
at it?

Thanks in advance!
Simon
Old 17-01-2012, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article 4568e112-a90f-4ce2-afdd-
, says...

Hi there,

I planted an oval leaf privet hedge 7 years ago and as it was mainly
used for pivacy, I let the hedge grow tall rather than wide. It has
been at the right heigfht for a few years now, but does not seem to be
that bushy. What's the best time of year to really cut the hedge back
and should I lop off a couple ofr feet from the top and trim the sides
right back, would that make the hedge grow a bit bushier? Do I do
this before spring or should I wait untiul March before hacking away
at it?

Do it asap before growth starts. Stems will be thick so you'll need long
handle loppers rather than a hedge cutter.

Privet hedges will take very savage pruning so don't be scared. You
could take the whole thing down to a foot high and wide, spread old manure
along the root area, and it will spring back up bushy and green from the
bottom; giving you chance to shape it correctly (wider at the bottom than
the top, so the lower areas get some light and stay green) but obviously
you'll spend a year or two with limited privacy/shelter.

If you have access to both sides, a more moderate solution is one year,
cutting one side back really hard to a naked skeleton of branches ( While
it recovers the far side will continue to filter wind and provide some
visual screen). The following year do the same to the other side and
adjust the height.

Whatever you do, feed it well after the haircut, to encourage new growth

Janet

Old 17-01-2012, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 17, 11:02*am, Janet wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the advice Janet, pruning one side this year then the other
sounds like a great idea!

Is it OK to prune this time of year and will a frost hamr a savagely
pruned hedge? To feed I've got miracel gro, is that the best thing to
use?

Thanks again!

Simon
Old 17-01-2012, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article dc0b5dee-6f60-40a4-8c79-
, says...

On Jan 17, 11:02*am, Janet wrote:
[...]

yes

and will a frost hamr a savagely
pruned hedge?

no more than it might catch any other newly opened leaves in spring.
Privet is very tough.

To feed I've got miracel gro, is that the best thing to
use?

That's just a light snack; I'd give it a more substantial meal;if you
can't get home-made compost or horse manure then try 6X or Growmore
granules ( obtainable at DIY sheds and garden centres)

Janet
Old 18-01-2012, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jan 17, 11:02*am, Janet wrote:
[...]

*yes

and will a frost hamr a savagely
pruned hedge?

* *no more than it might catch any other newly opened leaves in spring.
Privet is very tough.

To feed I've got miracel gro, is that the best thing to
use?

*That's just a light snack; *I'd give it a more substantial meal;if you
can't get home-made compost or horse manure then try 6X or Growmore
granules ( obtainable at DIY sheds and garden centres)

* *Janet- Hide quoted text -

I wouldn't bother feeding if the growth is OK, I'd cut back to a foot
or two below where you now want the hedge, cut some stems back hard,
almost to the ground and others staggered between the ground and top,
I'd do both sides, and if the base is thin trhen why not layer a few
stems so that they run at ground level, they will shoot up along their
length and thicken the base.
David @ the wet end of Swansea Bay,
Our 4 day drought has ended.

Timming advice Bruce Musgrove Roses 3 22-04-2006 09:56 PM
Enlarging my pond, please advise IceEros Ponds 13 12-07-2003 05:44 AM
crown rot -- please advise! Tanya Orchids 8 04-03-2003 05:39 PM
Old aluminium roof under pond liner,good idea or not? please advise John Ponds 4 29-01-2003 08:03 PM
Old aluminium roof on top of pond liner,good idea or not? please advise John Ponds 2 28-01-2003 06:00 PM