Old 17-01-2012, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Simon[_2_] Simon[_2_] is offline

Default Hedge timming advise please

On Jan 17, 11:02*am, Janet wrote:
In article 4568e112-a90f-4ce2-afdd-
, says...

Hi there,

I planted an oval leaf privet hedge 7 years ago and as it was mainly
used for pivacy, I let the hedge grow tall rather than wide. It has
been at the right heigfht for a few years now, but does not seem to be
that bushy. What's the best time of year to really cut the hedge back
and should I lop off a couple ofr feet from the top and trim the sides
right back, would that make the hedge grow a bit bushier? *Do I do
this before spring or should I wait untiul March before hacking away
at it?

* Do it asap before growth starts. Stems will be thick so you'll need long
handle loppers rather than a hedge cutter.

*Privet hedges *will take very savage pruning so don't be scared. You
could take the whole thing down to a foot high and wide, spread old manure
along the root area, and it will spring back up bushy and green from the
bottom; giving you chance to shape it correctly (wider at the bottom than
the top, so the lower areas get some light and stay green) but obviously
you'll spend a year or two with limited *privacy/shelter.

*If you have access to both sides, a more moderate solution *is one year,
cutting one side back really hard to a naked skeleton of branches ( While
it recovers the far side will continue to filter wind and provide some
visual screen). The following year do the same to the other side and
adjust the height.

* Whatever you do, feed it well after the haircut, to encourage new growth

* *Janet

Thanks for the advice Janet, pruning one side this year then the other
sounds like a great idea!

Is it OK to prune this time of year and will a frost hamr a savagely
pruned hedge? To feed I've got miracel gro, is that the best thing to
use?

Thanks again!

Simon