Old 17-01-2012, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Hedge timming advise please

In article dc0b5dee-6f60-40a4-8c79-
, says...

On Jan 17, 11:02*am, Janet wrote:
In article 4568e112-a90f-4ce2-afdd-
, says...

Hi there,

I planted an oval leaf privet hedge 7 years ago and as it was mainly
used for pivacy, I let the hedge grow tall rather than wide. It has
been at the right heigfht for a few years now, but does not seem to be
that bushy. What's the best time of year to really cut the hedge back
and should I lop off a couple ofr feet from the top and trim the sides
right back, would that make the hedge grow a bit bushier? *Do I do
this before spring or should I wait untiul March before hacking away
at it?

* Do it asap before growth starts. Stems will be thick so you'll need long
handle loppers rather than a hedge cutter.

*Privet hedges *will take very savage pruning so don't be scared. You
could take the whole thing down to a foot high and wide, spread old manure
along the root area, and it will spring back up bushy and green from the
bottom; giving you chance to shape it correctly (wider at the bottom than
the top, so the lower areas get some light and stay green) but obviously
you'll spend a year or two with limited *privacy/shelter.

*If you have access to both sides, a more moderate solution *is one year,
cutting one side back really hard to a naked skeleton of branches ( While
it recovers the far side will continue to filter wind and provide some
visual screen). The following year do the same to the other side and
adjust the height.

* Whatever you do, feed it well after the haircut, to encourage new growth

* *Janet

Thanks for the advice Janet, pruning one side this year then the other
sounds like a great idea!

Is it OK to prune this time of year

yes

and will a frost hamr a savagely
pruned hedge?

no more than it might catch any other newly opened leaves in spring.
Privet is very tough.

To feed I've got miracel gro, is that the best thing to
use?

That's just a light snack; I'd give it a more substantial meal;if you
can't get home-made compost or horse manure then try 6X or Growmore
granules ( obtainable at DIY sheds and garden centres)

Janet