Old 20-01-2012, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Any especially flavoursome cabbage, suitable for windy South Coast?

AL_n wrote:
Cabbage is one of those vegetables I can take or leave. However, I'd like
to grow some if I can find a particularly tasty variety. Any
recommendations? I'm gardening in alkaline soil on the south coast of
England, in a rather windy location.

I grew portugese cabbage last year, which are nice big flouncy things.
Tried red cabbage, but didn't get so much success.

But if you're not a big fan of cabbage, have you considered kale instead? I
like curly kale as it can be grown cut-and-come-again style, but for taste I
think my favourite is cavolo nero, which I tend to harvest in one go.

(I'm also a big fan of pak choi and chinese leaf, which I use in a similar
fashion to kale and cabbage, but I believe they are best sown in the
summer)