Old 20-01-2012, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Any especially flavoursome cabbage, suitable for windy South Coast?

Cabbage is one of those vegetables I can take or leave. However, I'd like
to grow some if I can find a particularly tasty variety. Any
recommendations? I'm gardening in alkaline soil on the south coast of
England, in a rather windy location.

Thank you..

AL
Old 20-01-2012, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AL_n" wrote

Cabbage is one of those vegetables I can take or leave. However, I'd like
to grow some if I can find a particularly tasty variety. Any
recommendations? I'm gardening in alkaline soil on the south coast of
England, in a rather windy location.

So what sort of cabbage do you want to grow, spring, summer, winter?
They like alkaline soil so that's OK they also like a rich soil so get some
manure dug in. They also like to be well firmed in when transplanting.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 20-01-2012, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jan 20, 10:00*pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"AL_n" *wrote

Cabbage is one of those vegetables I can take or leave. However, I'd like
to grow some if I can find a particularly tasty variety. Any
recommendations? I'm gardening in alkaline soil on the south coast of
England, in a rather windy location.

So what sort of cabbage do you want to grow, spring, summer, winter?
They like alkaline soil so that's OK they also like a rich soil so get some
manure dug in. They also like to be well firmed in when transplanting.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

In my opinion the best Winter cabbage is January King, Hardy, stands
well and tastes great. Always grew well outside Hastings in the days
when winters were winters.
Old 20-01-2012, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

AL_n wrote:
Cabbage is one of those vegetables I can take or leave. However, I'd like
to grow some if I can find a particularly tasty variety. Any
recommendations? I'm gardening in alkaline soil on the south coast of
England, in a rather windy location.

I grew portugese cabbage last year, which are nice big flouncy things.
Tried red cabbage, but didn't get so much success.

But if you're not a big fan of cabbage, have you considered kale instead? I
like curly kale as it can be grown cut-and-come-again style, but for taste I
think my favourite is cavolo nero, which I tend to harvest in one go.

(I'm also a big fan of pak choi and chinese leaf, which I use in a similar
fashion to kale and cabbage, but I believe they are best sown in the
summer)
Old 21-01-2012, 08:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote:
"AL_n" wrote

Cabbage is one of those vegetables I can take or leave. However, I'd
like
to grow some if I can find a particularly tasty variety. Any
recommendations? I'm gardening in alkaline soil on the south coast of
England, in a rather windy location.

So what sort of cabbage do you want to grow, spring, summer, winter?
They like alkaline soil so that's OK they also like a rich soil so get
some
manure dug in. They also like to be well firmed in when transplanting.

In my opinion the best Winter cabbage is January King, Hardy, stands
well and tastes great. Always grew well outside Hastings in the days
when winters were winters.

I would agree with you Dave with one proviso, they have not grown well for
us the last few years and I have no idea why. Summer cabbages we like are
Derby Day and Pyramid and for winter any of the Savoys seem to do well
consistently, just remove all dead leaves every few weeks to keep them
clean.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 21-01-2012, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in
:

I grew portugese cabbage last year, which are nice big flouncy things.
Tried red cabbage, but didn't get so much success.

But if you're not a big fan of cabbage, have you considered kale
instead? I like curly kale as it can be grown cut-and-come-again
style, but for taste I think my favourite is cavolo nero, which I tend
to harvest in one go.

(I'm also a big fan of pak choi and chinese leaf, which I use in a
similar
fashion to kale and cabbage, but I believe they are best sown in the
summer)

Yes - I'm not keen on anything with a flowery, leathery leaves, but like
the firm heard of a cabbage when chooped and boiled. I wish I know of one
with extra flavour. I like Brussels sprouts because of their flavour and
aroma. If I could find a cabbage with similar qualities, I'd be happy.

Al
Old 21-01-2012, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

So what sort of cabbage do you want to grow, spring, summer, winter?
They like alkaline soil so that's OK they also like a rich soil so get
some manure dug in. They also like to be well firmed in when
transplanting.

I have already dug a shipload of horse manure and compost into the soil, so
they should be happy. As for harvest month, I'm not too fussed. Maybe one
for Summer and one for late winter would be ideal. Anything with a firm
heart and a bit of flavour and aroma would be good.

Al
Old 21-01-2012, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

AL_n wrote:
Yes - I'm not keen on anything with a flowery, leathery leaves, but like
the firm heard of a cabbage when chooped and boiled. I wish I know of one
with extra flavour. I like Brussels sprouts because of their flavour and
aroma. If I could find a cabbage with similar qualities, I'd be happy.

Maybe you just need to grow giant sprouts. :-)
Have you tried eating sprout tops, btw? I've seen them suggested, but mine
always seem to be full of aphids or whitefly or something (or purple
spiders, as Daniel called them today!)
Old 21-01-2012, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AL_n" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote
So what sort of cabbage do you want to grow, spring, summer, winter?
They like alkaline soil so that's OK they also like a rich soil so
get some manure dug in. They also like to be well firmed in when
transplanting.

I have already dug a shipload of horse manure and compost into the
soil, so they should be happy. As for harvest month, I'm not too
fussed. Maybe one for Summer and one for late winter would be ideal.
Anything with a firm heart and a bit of flavour and aroma would be
good.

Have you tried Savoy? Nice crinkly texture. Finely sliced and steamed,
served with a knob of butter and a little pepper - tastes great.

--
Sue

Old 28-01-2012, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue" wrote in
o.uk:

I have already dug a shipload of horse manure and compost into the
soil, so they should be happy. As for harvest month, I'm not too
fussed. Maybe one for Summer and one for late winter would be ideal.
Anything with a firm heart and a bit of flavour and aroma would be
good.

Have you tried Savoy? Nice crinkly texture. Finely sliced and steamed,
served with a knob of butter and a little pepper - tastes great.

Hi Sue, the name rings a bell, but I can;t remember for sure. Anyway, I
will follow your suggestion and give it a try this year... Thanks!

Al