Old 22-01-2012, 08:11 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_11_] Billy[_11_] is offline

Default Apple seed. . .

In article , Dan Espen
wrote:

Billy writes:

In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

On 1/22/12 8:32 AM, Ray wrote:
Using advice I found on the Internet, I placed several apple seeds in a
damp
paper towel and stored them in the refrigerator for a couple of months.

They still haven't sprouted, but I see no evidence of rot or mold.

Can I expect them to sprout when I put them in the ground in the spring?

Apples do not grow true to form from seed. For example, seed from a
Macintosh will not produce a tree that has Macintosh apples. Instead,
the results could be a new, desirable variety or a not-so-good variety.

David, your response doesn't answer the question that was asked.

If it was me with the apple seeds, I'd consider this as one of the most
useful answers. The OP may be after another variety but he didn't post
anything that said or implied that.

There's no guarantee that the seeds will sprout buy I'd say it's very
likely. If they do, now the OP has an idea about what to expect.

And there you have it, a definite "likely".

http://treesandshrubs.about.com/od/propagation/f/applesfromseed.htm
How Do You Germinate Apple Seeds?
? They need to be exposed to cold first, called stratification. You
will need to place many seeds (they only have around a 30% germination
rate) in a bag with damp moss. Place in the refrigerator for about 6
weeks, then plant in a pot. You will later need to prune and train it to
be a proper apple tree.

Yeah, it's a slow day here so far.
Go 49ers, and Ravens.
Now I gotta go find the beer.
--

Billy

E Pluribus Unum

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.
- Dwight D. Eisenhower, 16 April 1953