Old 22-01-2012, 04:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Apple seed. . .

Using advice I found on the Internet, I placed several apple seeds in a damp
paper towel and stored them in the refrigerator for a couple of months.

They still haven't sprouted, but I see no evidence of rot or mold.

Can I expect them to sprout when I put them in the ground in the spring?

Old 22-01-2012, 04:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
mj mj is offline

On Jan 22, 11:32*am, "Ray" wrote:
Using advice I found on the Internet, I placed several apple seeds in a damp
paper towel and stored them in the refrigerator for a couple of months.

They still haven't sprouted, but I see no evidence of rot or mold.

Can I expect them to sprout when I put them in the ground in the spring?

Since you have many seeds, I would plant at least one of them in a
small amount of dirt ( dehydrated pod thing) and see what happens. I
would think if they sprout in that they will outdoors.
Old 22-01-2012, 05:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 1/22/12 8:32 AM, Ray wrote:
Using advice I found on the Internet, I placed several apple seeds in a damp
paper towel and stored them in the refrigerator for a couple of months.

They still haven't sprouted, but I see no evidence of rot or mold.

Can I expect them to sprout when I put them in the ground in the spring?

Apples do not grow true to form from seed. For example, seed from a
Macintosh will not produce a tree that has Macintosh apples. Instead,
the results could be a new, desirable variety or a not-so-good variety.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 22-01-2012, 05:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

On 1/22/12 8:32 AM, Ray wrote:
Using advice I found on the Internet, I placed several apple seeds in a
damp
paper towel and stored them in the refrigerator for a couple of months.

They still haven't sprouted, but I see no evidence of rot or mold.

Can I expect them to sprout when I put them in the ground in the spring?

Apples do not grow true to form from seed. For example, seed from a
Macintosh will not produce a tree that has Macintosh apples. Instead,
the results could be a new, desirable variety or a not-so-good variety.

David, your response doesn't answer the question that was asked.
--

Billy

E Pluribus Unum

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.
- Dwight D. Eisenhower, 16 April 1953

Old 22-01-2012, 06:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

Billy writes:

In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

On 1/22/12 8:32 AM, Ray wrote:
Using advice I found on the Internet, I placed several apple seeds in a
damp
paper towel and stored them in the refrigerator for a couple of months.

They still haven't sprouted, but I see no evidence of rot or mold.

Can I expect them to sprout when I put them in the ground in the spring?

Apples do not grow true to form from seed. For example, seed from a
Macintosh will not produce a tree that has Macintosh apples. Instead,
the results could be a new, desirable variety or a not-so-good variety.

David, your response doesn't answer the question that was asked.

If it was me with the apple seeds, I'd consider this as one of the most
useful answers. The OP may be after another variety but he didn't post
anything that said or implied that.

There's no guarantee that the seeds will sprout buy I'd say it's very
likely. If they do, now the OP has an idea about what to expect.

--
Dan Espen

Old 22-01-2012, 08:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Dan Espen
wrote:

Billy writes:

In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

On 1/22/12 8:32 AM, Ray wrote:
[...]

And there you have it, a definite "likely".

http://treesandshrubs.about.com/od/propagation/f/applesfromseed.htm
How Do You Germinate Apple Seeds?
? They need to be exposed to cold first, called stratification. You
will need to place many seeds (they only have around a 30% germination
rate) in a bag with damp moss. Place in the refrigerator for about 6
weeks, then plant in a pot. You will later need to prune and train it to
be a proper apple tree.

Yeah, it's a slow day here so far.
Go 49ers, and Ravens.
Now I gotta go find the beer.

Old 23-01-2012, 05:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Yeah, it's a slow day here so far.
Go 49ers, and Ravens.
Now I gotta go find the beer.

Hmmm. At least the beer was good :O)

Old 23-01-2012, 08:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Ray" wrote in message
Using advice I found on the Internet, I placed several apple seeds in a
damp paper towel and stored them in the refrigerator for a couple of
months.

They still haven't sprouted, but I see no evidence of rot or mold.

Can I expect them to sprout when I put them in the ground in the spring?

It's certainly possible and more so if you kept them moist.

I put some Auricaria bidwilii seeds in a plastic container and stuck it in
the fredge and promptly forgot them for months. When I took them out they
had already started to sprout. I did the same thing with acorns but buried
them in potting mix before putting them in the fridge and they too had
started to sprout - I got either 17 or 19 scarlet or red oaks and one
different oak out of that lot. These being bigger things would be more
likley to sprout than apple seeds, but if you kept them moist then I'd say
they'd probably still sprout - you'll only know for sure if you plant the
seeds and care for them.

Old 23-01-2012, 04:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 1/23/12 12:38 AM, Farm1 wrote:
"Ray" wrote in message
[...]

Chilling in a refrigerator works only for seeds of plants whose native
regions experience significant winter chill. It might harm seeds of
plants native to my climate (see my signature below).

Among such oaks as Quercus lobata and Q. agrifolia -- both native to
California -- no chilling is needed. Several times, I have successfully
grown Q. lobata from acorns without any chill. See
http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_oak_acorn.html.