Old 23-01-2012, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Strawberry foliage not died off.

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 15:29:27 +0000, Derek
wrote:

If you read this, what feed do you use? I use tomato liquid feed, probably
not the best thing.

Would that not promote leaf growth , I would prefer fruit growth so
feed is kept to the minimum.

It's a case of getting the right N-P-K balance
(Nitrogen-Phosphorus-Potassium). Early in the year more N promotes
the growth of roots and greenery. Then at the flowering stage, a lot
less N and more P. Finally upping the K as the flowers begin to fade
will promote growth of fruit and veg.

Some people advocate a 20-10-20 mix at the start, a 5-10-5 in the
middle and a 10-10-20 at the end (the 10-10-20 is particularly good
for spuds).

And don't forget the micro nutrients.

Stopping feeding will lead to poorer cropping unless you're lucky
enough to have some wonderful soil.

FWIW, over the years I've tried many combinations but for the last few
have zeroed in on bone meal at soil preparation time and then a
product called "Flower Power" (which is only available through QVC)
coupled with another (I think also QVC exclusive) called Spray-n-Grow
which provides all the micro nutrients. I've tried, say, in a year
feeding some tomatoes with Tomato food and others with my Flower
Power/Spray-n-Grow combo and have got more from the combo fed ones.
Sales plug over.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay where
the four seasons are salt,pepper,mustard and vinegar.