Old 23-01-2012, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Shallots sprouting

"Dave Hill" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Pam Moore" wrote ...
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Anyone else having the same problem this year, some of our shallots are
sprouting already. Much too early to plant out so I've planted them in
cell
trays in the greenhouse (min 50°F) and they can carry on growing.
Must get the name again, they came from France and are the little ones
the
posh chefs prefer. Also got some long ones too but they are still
dormant
as
are most of our Jermor.

Bob, I remember Arthur Billitt saying, many years ago, that shallots
should be planted on the shortest day and harvested on the longest
day. I did that for many years. Don't grow shallots any more.

Probably depends on your soil type, if we plant too early the wet and
cold
does a lot of damage.

I would leave them outside, not in the glasshouse,
Grow them cold for now.

Yes, good point.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.