Old 23-01-2012, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Shallots sprouting

Anyone else having the same problem this year, some of our shallots are
sprouting already. Much too early to plant out so I've planted them in cell
trays in the greenhouse (min 50°F) and they can carry on growing.
Must get the name again, they came from France and are the little ones the
posh chefs prefer. Also got some long ones too but they are still dormant as
are most of our Jermor.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 23-01-2012, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 13:51:22 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Anyone else having the same problem this year, some of our shallots are
sprouting already. Much too early to plant out so I've planted them in cell
trays in the greenhouse (min 50°F) and they can carry on growing.
Must get the name again, they came from France and are the little ones the
posh chefs prefer. Also got some long ones too but they are still dormant as
are most of our Jermor.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Bob, I remember Arthur Billitt saying, many years ago, that shallots
should be planted on the shortest day and harvested on the longest
day. I did that for many years. Don't grow shallots any more.

Pam in Bristol
Old 23-01-2012, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote ...

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Anyone else having the same problem this year, some of our shallots are
sprouting already. Much too early to plant out so I've planted them in
cell
trays in the greenhouse (min 50°F) and they can carry on growing.
Must get the name again, they came from France and are the little ones the
posh chefs prefer. Also got some long ones too but they are still dormant
as
are most of our Jermor.

Bob, I remember Arthur Billitt saying, many years ago, that shallots
should be planted on the shortest day and harvested on the longest
day. I did that for many years. Don't grow shallots any more.

Probably depends on your soil type, if we plant too early the wet and cold
does a lot of damage.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 23-01-2012, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jan 23, 2:50*pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Pam Moore" *wrote ...

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Anyone else having the same problem this year, some of our shallots are
sprouting already. Much too early to plant out so I've planted them in
cell
trays in the greenhouse (min 50°F) and they can carry on growing.
Must get the name again, they came from France and are the little ones the
posh chefs prefer. Also got some long ones too but they are still dormant
as
are most of our Jermor.

Bob, I remember Arthur Billitt saying, many years ago, that shallots
should be planted on the shortest day and harvested on the longest
day. *I did that for many years. *Don't grow shallots any more.

Probably depends on your soil type, if we plant too early the wet and cold
does a lot of damage.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.
Posted to this Newsgroup from the W of London, UK- Hide quoted text -

I would leave them outside, not in the glasshouse,
Grow them cold for now.
David @ the wet end of Swansea Bay
Old 23-01-2012, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Pam Moore" wrote ...
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

[...]