Old 24-01-2012, 07:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Eating and rooting a mint plant

On Jan 23, 2:44*pm, Pam Moore wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 02:35:30 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

On Jan 23, 10:14*am, "john east" wrote:
Got a small 'mint' plant from waitrose the other day, and the mint tastes
much better than the mint plant i have in a pot in the garden.

I am going to try to root some stems in some water inside the house.
Meanwhile wife is taking leaves to put in salad etc. *Since i have not had
any root yet, it is a race against time.

Should wife just take leaves from the bottom of stems and i take the top
leaves and stem to try and root them, or is it better she just take one
whole stem at a time?

You will find mint grows like a weed. It can be a major nuisance
You need to put it in a bucket to stop it from spreading.
Use the roots to spread it. *Or divide a clump.

That never worked for me, except one not-very-good variety which
spread like mad on the allotment. *I've planted mint in the garden
more than once and lost it.

Pam in Bristol- Hide quoted text -

Slugs.
I have four or five different sorts rampant. But the nasty ones
always grow best. (The lemon one, smells like washing up liquid).
Even defies Roundup.