Old 23-01-2012, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Eating and rooting a mint plant

Got a small 'mint' plant from waitrose the other day, and the mint tastes
much better than the mint plant i have in a pot in the garden.

I am going to try to root some stems in some water inside the house.
Meanwhile wife is taking leaves to put in salad etc. Since i have not had
any root yet, it is a race against time.

Should wife just take leaves from the bottom of stems and i take the top
leaves and stem to try and root them, or is it better she just take one
whole stem at a time?

Old 23-01-2012, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 23, 10:14*am, "john east" wrote:
Got a small 'mint' plant from waitrose the other day, and the mint tastes
much better than the mint plant i have in a pot in the garden.

I am going to try to root some stems in some water inside the house.
Meanwhile wife is taking leaves to put in salad etc. *Since i have not had
any root yet, it is a race against time.

Should wife just take leaves from the bottom of stems and i take the top
leaves and stem to try and root them, or is it better she just take one
whole stem at a time?

You will find mint grows like a weed. It can be a major nuisance
You need to put it in a bucket to stop it from spreading.
Use the roots to spread it. Or divide a clump.
Old 23-01-2012, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 10:14:07 -0000, "john east"
wrote:

Got a small 'mint' plant from waitrose the other day, and the mint tastes
much better than the mint plant i have in a pot in the garden.

I am going to try to root some stems in some water inside the house.
Meanwhile wife is taking leaves to put in salad etc. Since i have not had
any root yet, it is a race against time.

Should wife just take leaves from the bottom of stems and i take the top
leaves and stem to try and root them, or is it better she just take one
whole stem at a time?

Take some stems off and hide them somewhere from her. Put them in
water until they root.

Buy another one if she is using that much of it as it'll be a while
before you've grown any.

Repotting them often gives them an extra burst of growth.

I've grown rosemary cuttings recently from a packet of rosemary pieces
bought as fresh herbs in the local morrisons.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 23-01-2012, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Got a small 'mint' plant from waitrose the other day, and the mint tastes
much better than the mint plant i have in a pot in the garden.

I am going to try to root some stems in some water inside the house.
Meanwhile wife is taking leaves to put in salad etc. Since i have not had
any root yet, it is a race against time.

Should wife just take leaves from the bottom of stems and i take the top
leaves and stem to try and root them, or is it better she just take one
whole stem at a time?

I bought a bunch of cut mint before Christmas and didn't use it all.
I stuck it in water, looking very sad. It now has good roots and is
growing new shoots. Just take off leaves at the bottom and put it in
a jar of water.
If they're long enough you could cut off the tops and root those too.

Pam in Bristol

Old 23-01-2012, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 02:35:30 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

On Jan 23, 10:14*am, "john east" wrote:
Got a small 'mint' plant from waitrose the other day, and the mint tastes
much better than the mint plant i have in a pot in the garden.

I am going to try to root some stems in some water inside the house.
Meanwhile wife is taking leaves to put in salad etc. *Since i have not had
any root yet, it is a race against time.

Should wife just take leaves from the bottom of stems and i take the top
leaves and stem to try and root them, or is it better she just take one
whole stem at a time?

You will find mint grows like a weed. It can be a major nuisance
You need to put it in a bucket to stop it from spreading.
Use the roots to spread it. Or divide a clump.

That never worked for me, except one not-very-good variety which
spread like mad on the allotment. I've planted mint in the garden
more than once and lost it.

Pam in Bristol
Old 23-01-2012, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jan 23, 10:14*am, "john east" wrote:
Got a small 'mint' plant from waitrose the other day, and the mint tastes
much better than the mint plant i have in a pot in the garden.

I am going to try to root some stems in some water inside the house.
Meanwhile wife is taking leaves to put in salad etc. *Since i have not had
any root yet, it is a race against time.

Should wife just take leaves from the bottom of stems and i take the top
leaves and stem to try and root them, or is it better she just take one
whole stem at a time?

Am I missing something????
The OP says "Got a small 'mint' plant from waitrose the other day"
Not a bunch of cut mi9nt, but a PLANT.
That means that it has roots and if the wife does cut all the top
growth off then he still has the plant. If she can leave a couple of
leaves on each stem then so much the better.
Keep the remains of the plant cool and it should strat to resprout in
a few weeks.
Certainly buy another if you can, but do take a look at mint plants in
season, there are many, we prefere Apple mint for potatoes, Morocan
mint,for mint sauce.
Old 24-01-2012, 07:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Pam in Bristol- Hide quoted text -

Slugs.
I have four or five different sorts rampant. But the nasty ones
always grow best. (The lemon one, smells like washing up liquid).
Even defies Roundup.
Old 29-01-2012, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message

Certainly buy another if you can, but do take a look at mint plants in
season, there are many, we prefere Apple mint for potatoes, Morocan
mint,for mint sauce.

I bough an Apple mint plant which grew very well proliffically in fact. I
thought the smell of the leaves was really lovely, but as for mint sauce, a
bit of a disappointment compared with "normal" mint.

Bill