Old 24-01-2012, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Brussel Sprouts - planting and growing

On Jan 23, 11:16*pm, Rob G wrote:
This topic, according to my wife, came up on Gardener's Question time
this weekend.

I know what I ought to do - that is to make sure they are in firm soil
to avoid the blown sprouts I have this year. *Great plants but
'beautiful?' rosettes all the way up the stems.

The reason is that this garden (been here over 30 years) has club
root. *It was OK in the days before the EU destroyed all the useful
chemicals for the garden and we got acceptable sprouts.

I struggled for a year or so after the effective chemical was
withdrawn, and then found a solution that works for the brassicas, and
produces fine sprout plants, but not the sprouts themselves.

At planting, plants grown in 2" sectional trays are planted into a cup
shaped hole that has been filled with JI2 straight from the bag. *This
defeats the club root, but obviously creates a non-compact soil for
the plant to grow in.

Can someone suggest how I can overcome this without stamping down
around the young plants and transmitting the organism back into the
plants ?

Thanks
Rob

You can try staking them. It is wind rock that buggers them up. It
breaks the roots. You need strong stake.