Old 23-01-2012, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Brussel Sprouts - planting and growing

This topic, according to my wife, came up on Gardener's Question time
this weekend.

I know what I ought to do - that is to make sure they are in firm soil
to avoid the blown sprouts I have this year. Great plants but
'beautiful?' rosettes all the way up the stems.

The reason is that this garden (been here over 30 years) has club
root. It was OK in the days before the EU destroyed all the useful
chemicals for the garden and we got acceptable sprouts.

I struggled for a year or so after the effective chemical was
withdrawn, and then found a solution that works for the brassicas, and
produces fine sprout plants, but not the sprouts themselves.

At planting, plants grown in 2" sectional trays are planted into a cup
shaped hole that has been filled with JI2 straight from the bag. This
defeats the club root, but obviously creates a non-compact soil for
the plant to grow in.

Can someone suggest how I can overcome this without stamping down
around the young plants and transmitting the organism back into the
plants ?

Thanks
Rob
Old 24-01-2012, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 23, 11:16*pm, Rob G wrote:
[...]

You can try staking them. It is wind rock that buggers them up. It
breaks the roots. You need strong stake.
Old 24-01-2012, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/01/2012 08:44, harry wrote:
On Jan 23, 11:16 pm, Rob wrote:
[...]

Mine have been a feast for the mice, just a few at the top, the rest
partly chewed. The netting kept the pigeons off but gave the mice free
range!

brussel sprouts blooming but no edible sprouts ncstockguy Gardening 2 26-04-2006 04:26 PM
brussel sprouts blooming but no edible sprouts ncstockguy North Carolina 1 20-04-2006 11:45 PM
small green worms on my brussel sprouts I & H Prees Edible Gardening 5 14-07-2004 08:06 PM
brussel sprouts D. Helderman Gardening 5 28-06-2003 03:56 AM
Cause of "dirty" brussel Sprouts John Towill United Kingdom 10 17-12-2002 08:36 PM