Old 20-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Jim W

Default Advice on hops

Hussein M. wrote:

Jim W) wrote:

JimM wrote:

Last year I put in a hop which grew well with 2 stems (bines ?) During
winter I cut this right back as per the instructions and this year it
has started to sprout but with at least eight stems. Do I allow all 8
of these to grow or should I cut back the surplus and leave the 2
healthiest to grow. It's for decorative purposes only, to cover a
pergoda I don't use the hops for brewing so not interested in what they
taste like

Thanks Jim

Up to you.. Hops are pretty vigourous so you may have to control it in
years to come anyway. You will find that you may get runners srputing
away from the plant in roughly a straight line.. THis indicates an
underground runner with nodes. Simply dig it up and divide each section
into new plants to give away (or use as guerilla plantings!-)

Guerilla planting? The only plant I know that requires guerilla tactics
for planting in the open spaces is C. sativa.

What's it with hops then? Am I missing something?

You mention C. sativa.. a fairly close relation of the hop.. I believe
you can graft the former onto the latter.;-) Hops used to make beer?

Guerilla planting, yep, use of waste ground for 'open' planting and
cultivation;-)

//
Jim