Old 20-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Paul Kelly

Default Walls, rendering and Ground Force

"Trevor Appleton" wrote in message
We've all seen it on GF. Breeze block wall, rendered then painted.

My building supply geezer just laughed and told me the frost would bring

it
all falling down.

Any thoughts on how its done?

Your building supplies guy is talking through his sun deficient orifice!

Walk outside, look around most uk towns and you will see Pebble dashed
houses (Render and gravel) and Painted render houses!

My extension is mainly rendered painted breeze block!

BUT:

I've wondered to myself how long the Makeover programme version would last
as they seem not to use any DPC to stop water coming up from the ground. If
specifying, I'd be looking for DPC, vertical DPC/tanking for rendered raised
beds and possibly a weather proof capping.

The chief error in many garden walls (rendered or not) is the failure to
weather proof the structure. The line of blue Engineering bricks low on
properly designed walls and the capping detailing are not just decorative
items they are primarily functional.

pk

PS A cautionary note: do not use plastic strip DPC for a garden wall. Why
not? Try building a Lego wall with a strip of sellotape over to lower
course!