Old 20-04-2003, 11:32 AM
Trevor Appleton

Default Walls, rendering and Ground Force

We've all seen it on GF. Breeze block wall, rendered then painted.

My building supply geezer just laughed and told me the frost would bring it
all falling down.

Any thoughts on how its done?

Trevor

---

Old 20-04-2003, 12:44 PM
Andrew Thomson

"Trevor Appleton" wrote in message
We've all seen it on GF. Breeze block wall, rendered then painted.

My building supply geezer just laughed and told me the frost would bring

it
all falling down.

Any thoughts on how its done?

Trevor

---

I would have thought that the main risk is from frost-shattering, where
water gets into the wall, freezes and expands cracking off bits of render as
it goes. The way to stop this happening would be to use some kind of sealant
to prevent the water getting in in the first place.

Old 20-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Paul Kelly

"Trevor Appleton" wrote in message
We've all seen it on GF. Breeze block wall, rendered then painted.

My building supply geezer just laughed and told me the frost would bring

it
all falling down.

Any thoughts on how its done?

Your building supplies guy is talking through his sun deficient orifice!

Walk outside, look around most uk towns and you will see Pebble dashed
houses (Render and gravel) and Painted render houses!

My extension is mainly rendered painted breeze block!

BUT:

I've wondered to myself how long the Makeover programme version would last
as they seem not to use any DPC to stop water coming up from the ground. If
specifying, I'd be looking for DPC, vertical DPC/tanking for rendered raised
beds and possibly a weather proof capping.

The chief error in many garden walls (rendered or not) is the failure to
weather proof the structure. The line of blue Engineering bricks low on
properly designed walls and the capping detailing are not just decorative
items they are primarily functional.

pk

PS A cautionary note: do not use plastic strip DPC for a garden wall. Why
not? Try building a Lego wall with a strip of sellotape over to lower
course!

Old 20-04-2003, 02:08 PM
Trevor Appleton

.. The way to stop this happening would be to use some kind of sealant
to prevent the water getting in in the first place.

....yes yes go on, I'd got this far

---

Old 20-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Victoria Clare

"Paul Kelly" wrote in
:

"Trevor Appleton" wrote in
message ...
We've all seen it on GF. Breeze block wall, rendered then painted.

My building supply geezer just laughed and told me the frost would
bring

it
all falling down.

Your building supplies guy is talking through his sun deficient
orifice!

Walk outside, look around most uk towns and you will see Pebble dashed
houses (Render and gravel) and Painted render houses!

My extension is mainly rendered painted breeze block!

I don't know how it is done, but I think your theory about having to
damp proof course it is wrong.

My sloping garden is held up by a rendered breezeblock wall, and the
people next door have three of them in tiers. Each has earth not only
underneath but behind as well, with no sealant visible.

All are rendered and painted. Mine is not in such good nick, because
the top of it is not properly capped off, and the render has been bashed
by someone moving paving slabs, though it is still completely solid
otherwise, and I know it has been there at least since the 80's. Water
coming through from behind seems to have caused no problems, though
plants seeding themselves into the top of the breeze blocks are another
matter.

Next doors' however, topped with neat tiles and built at the same time,
but rather better looked after, is still in perfect nick.

You do need to repaint from time to time, but I need to paint the house
too!

Victoria

Old 21-04-2003, 12:21 AM
Paul Kelly

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
. 222...
"Paul Kelly" wrote in
:

I don't know how it is done, but I think your theory about having to
damp proof course it is wrong.

All depends on ground conditions and site drainage, but a wall without dpc
*will* take up moisture from the ground, and a retaining wall without
vertical dpc / tanking *will* take in moisture from the rear.

Brick walls so built often show efflorescence from the ground up, or
throughout for retaining walls. Rendered block walls are at risk of frost
damage.

Houses have dpc's to stop ground water take up by capillary action, exactly
the same applies to garden walls. In most cases it matters not, my raised
bed walls do not have tanking but I used recovered brick and sought a
weathered rustic look. The same wall built in new brick with no tanking
would have effloresced badly and looked crappy.

pk