Old 25-01-2012, 03:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Can I cut this plant back?

On 1/24/12 6:00 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
This pic

http://tinypic.com/r/2imd52/5

shows a plant I was given. It is so leggy that I can't support it
with long sticks.

Anybody know the name?

Also, is it safe to cut it back?

I kinda like it, but need your advice before hacking.

TIA

HB

For identification, take the plant to a nearby nursery (not a hardware
store or lumber yard). If you don't want to move it, take more photos
from different angles.

The problem is that some plants do not do well when cut back. With many
conifers, the entire branch might die back to its base if it is cut such
that no live foliage remains. With salvia relatives (e.g., sage,
rosemary, lavender), the entire branch will definitely die to its base
in this case.

Other plants seem to sprout new growth whenever cut back severely. New
growth buds are obvious on roses but not at all obvious on holly,
raphiolepis, myrtle, or eugenia. All of these seem to be rejuvenated by
severe cutting, even when no live foliage remains.

Thus, before cutting, you really need to know what the plant is. From
your photo, it does not look familiar to me.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see