Old 25-01-2012, 02:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Can I cut this plant back?

This pic

http://tinypic.com/r/2imd52/5

shows a plant I was given. It is so leggy that I can't support it
with long sticks.

Anybody know the name?

Also, is it safe to cut it back?

I kinda like it, but need your advice before hacking.

TIA

HB
Old 25-01-2012, 03:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 1/24/12 6:00 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
This pic

http://tinypic.com/r/2imd52/5

shows a plant I was given. It is so leggy that I can't support it
with long sticks.

Anybody know the name?

Also, is it safe to cut it back?

I kinda like it, but need your advice before hacking.

TIA

HB

For identification, take the plant to a nearby nursery (not a hardware
store or lumber yard). If you don't want to move it, take more photos
from different angles.

The problem is that some plants do not do well when cut back. With many
conifers, the entire branch might die back to its base if it is cut such
that no live foliage remains. With salvia relatives (e.g., sage,
rosemary, lavender), the entire branch will definitely die to its base
in this case.

Other plants seem to sprout new growth whenever cut back severely. New
growth buds are obvious on roses but not at all obvious on holly,
raphiolepis, myrtle, or eugenia. All of these seem to be rejuvenated by
severe cutting, even when no live foliage remains.

Thus, before cutting, you really need to know what the plant is. From
your photo, it does not look familiar to me.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 25-01-2012, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 18:00:32 -0800 (PST), Higgs Boson wrote:
This pic

http://tinypic.com/r/2imd52/5

shows a plant I was given. It is so leggy that I can't support it
with long sticks.

Can't tell what it is from the photo. It would help to know where you are in
the world, too.

But consider trying air layering or simple layering on this plant... these are
generally ways that if it works, fine, and if it doesn't work, you haven't
really done anything to irrevocable to the plant.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8701.html

Kay

Old 25-01-2012, 05:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jan 24, 6:00*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
This pic

http://tinypic.com/r/2imd52/5

shows a plant I was given. *It is so leggy that I can't support it
with long sticks.

Anybody know the name?

Also, is it safe to cut it back?

I kinda like it, but need your advice before hacking.

TIA

HB

Looks like a euphorbia var.,maybe a fire glow or a rigida,if so watch
out for the sap, can be caustic to some. But as always verify, then
look up pruning, this one should be ok to prune, but I would repot the
first year instead, looks neglicted. use a lighter, fluffier mix , if
you don't know how to root prune just change the soil, not a lot of
fertilizer, leave for this year, the newer shoots in the center
Easy to propagate, put that stem you broke on the right in a glass of
water, or a loose soil mix. Kay's recommendation for layering is spot
on target
Old 25-01-2012, 07:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jan 24, 6:00*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:.

Anybody know the name?

Also, is it safe to cut it back?

Might be a euphoria variety , say a rigida. If so, it cleans up easy
& easy to propragate, take the one on the right you snapped off on and
put it into a glass of water, roots fairly quickly. A good seedling
mix will work also if you pay attention to the moisture. Be cautious
of the sap. Repot the poor thing with a well draining mix w/ alittle
N.
Google images for euphoria rigida, gopher plant for detail info

Old 25-01-2012, 08:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jan 25, 2:42*am, Kay Lancaster wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 18:00:32 -0800 (PST), Higgs Boson wrote:
This pic

http://tinypic.com/r/2imd52/5

shows a plant I was given. *It is so leggy that I can't support it
with long sticks.

Can't tell what it is from the photo. *It would help to know where you are in
the world, too.

Oops - my bad - I usually specify So. Calif Coastal.

But consider trying air layering or simple layering on this plant... these are
generally ways that if it works, fine, and if it doesn't work, you haven't
really done anything to irrevocable to the plant.

Have never done this. Will have to study up on technique.

TX

HB

Old 30-01-2012, 08:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jan 24, 6:00*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
This pic

http://tinypic.com/r/2imd52/5

shows a plant I was given. *It is so leggy that I can't support it
with long sticks.

Anybody know the name?

Also, is it safe to cut it back?

I kinda like it, but need your advice before hacking.

TIA

HB

OK, someone said the pic wasn't good enough, so will this give the NG
a better ID on the plant?

http://tinypic.com/r/6xqdqg/5

Can I plant it deep? Or cut off the top & hope more will grow out of
stem? Or cut off roots and hope what's left will root? I don't want
to bother with layering

TIA

HN.

Old 30-01-2012, 11:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 12:47:38 -0800 (PST), Higgs Boson
wrote:

On Jan 24, 6:00*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
This pic

http://tinypic.com/r/2imd52/5

shows a plant I was given. *It is so leggy that I can't support it
with long sticks.

Anybody know the name?

Also, is it safe to cut it back?

I kinda like it, but need your advice before hacking.

TIA

HB

OK, someone said the pic wasn't good enough, so will this give the NG
a better ID on the plant?

http://tinypic.com/r/6xqdqg/5

Can I plant it deep? Or cut off the top & hope more will grow out of
stem? Or cut off roots and hope what's left will root? I don't want
to bother with layering

Which plant are you refering to, I see at least three.
Old 31-01-2012, 02:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
On Jan 24, 6:00*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
This pic

http://tinypic.com/r/2imd52/5

shows a plant I was given. *It is so leggy that I can't support it
with long sticks.

Anybody know the name?

Also, is it safe to cut it back?

I kinda like it, but need your advice before hacking.

TIA

HB

OK, someone said the pic wasn't good enough, so will this give the NG
a better ID on the plant?

http://tinypic.com/r/6xqdqg/5

Can I plant it deep? *Or cut off the top & hope more will grow out of
stem? *Or cut off roots and hope what's left will root? *I don't want
to bother with layering

Which plant are you refering to, I see at least three.

It's the one on the right, which I leaned up against a trunk to make
it more visible. There are several of this plant, all temporarily
housed in a large pot.

HB
Old 31-01-2012, 03:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 12:47:38 -0800 (PST), Higgs Boson wrote:

http://tinypic.com/r/6xqdqg/5

Still can't make out enough to be sure, but I think you've got a badly
grown Kalanchoe pinnata, air plant, an invasive.

Kay