Old 20-04-2003, 01:56 PM
BT

Default Purpose of a compost bin

You don't need a bin at all. You can just pile up your compostables and
eventually you will get compost. Some people wrap chicken wire around four
posts at the outside corners to stabilize the pile. The bin just keeps things
looking tidy. Also, the cover of the bin keeps the rain off the pile so you can
control how wet it gets. Too wet and it can start to smell and doesn't compost
properly. But conversely if the bin is too small, you won't get a very workable
hot compost.

BT

"Ablang" wrote in message
What is the Purpose of a compost bin and why should I care?

My local Waste Management Department is giving away a free compost bin if I
attend a seminar on composting.

Is it possible to build a compost bin myself? What has other people made
theirs out of?

"Intensity, Integrity, and Intelligence. Oh it's true! It's damn true!"
-- WWE wrestler & Olympic Gold medalist, Kurt Angle