Old 20-04-2003, 01:08 AM
Ablang

Default Purpose of a compost bin

What is the Purpose of a compost bin and why should I care?

My local Waste Management Department is giving away a free compost bin if I
attend a seminar on composting.

Is it possible to build a compost bin myself? What has other people made
theirs out of?

"Intensity, Integrity, and Intelligence. Oh it's true! It's damn true!"
-- WWE wrestler & Olympic Gold medalist, Kurt Angle
Old 20-04-2003, 01:20 AM
John S. DeBoo

Ablang wrote:

What is the Purpose of a compost bin and why should I care?

My local Waste Management Department is giving away a free compost bin if I
attend a seminar on composting.

Is it possible to build a compost bin myself? What has other people made
theirs out of?

I'm no guru at composting or bins for that matter but I snagged a book at the
library that has a pretty simple looking one in it you can make. "The Family
Garden" by Jan & Michael Gertley.

The bin is made such that as the pile grows, so dies the bin in the height of
its sides. Pretty simple but nifty thing. If I had a clue about composting
itself, I'd make a bin and give it a shot.

--
John S. DeBoo

Old 20-04-2003, 04:20 AM
Dane Bramage

The local waste management people here in Cincinnati also had a
similar offer a few years ago. I took the seminar, the free compost
bin (since it was my taxes paying for it anyway) and have since
constructed compost pits, bins, turning 'barrels', etc, all with great
success.
My first compost pile was made with the remains of 2 baby gates and
worked well enough that steam constantly rose from it in cold weather.
My advice: take the seminar, the 'free' compost bin, and go for it.

Old 20-04-2003, 01:56 PM
BT

You don't need a bin at all. You can just pile up your compostables and
eventually you will get compost. Some people wrap chicken wire around four
posts at the outside corners to stabilize the pile. The bin just keeps things
looking tidy. Also, the cover of the bin keeps the rain off the pile so you can
control how wet it gets. Too wet and it can start to smell and doesn't compost
properly. But conversely if the bin is too small, you won't get a very workable
hot compost.

BT

Old 22-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Wacko!

"Ablang" wrote in message
What is the Purpose of a compost bin and why should I care?

Generally speaking, the purpose of a compost bin is to hold the material to
be composted while providing an optimal environment for rapid composting
activity. Hopefully the bin will also make handling the material easier as
well.

You should care if you want to make compost instead of buying it, or at
least reduce the amount of compost you buy.

My local Waste Management Department is giving away a free compost bin if

attend a seminar on composting.

That might be fun. There's always a chance you may pick up something new.

Is it possible to build a compost bin myself? What has other people made
theirs out of?

Yes, you can build a compost bin yourself. It can be as easy as circle made
of wire fencing, or as elaborate as a drum on a roller stand. There are
endless variations. Your public library probably has a ton of info about
it. Look for books on composting or organic gardening. Also search the
web. You will find countless plans.

cya! wacko!