Old 27-01-2012, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] damduck-egg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Fluffing up compost

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 17:26:01 -0000, "Bill Grey"
wrote:

"shazzbat" wrote in message

wrote in message
harry wrote:
Use your own compost or the stuff from the recycle centre. (?2/big bag
round our way.)
Put it through the riddle. Much cheaper all round.

Lot more effort, though. I riddled all the soil into our potatoes last
year, I was knackered. :-(

You need to make yourself one of these -

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...Picture005.jpg

Steve

A planstman at a garden centre was sieving some compost by shovelling the
compost on to a rectangular frame about 4ft x 3" covered with a suitable
mesh. The front was supported by two legs about 2 ft high, and the back
legs were a bit higher - high enough to wheel a wheel barrow under the sieve
frame. This takes longer to write about than if it was a sketch. Working
the compost through the sieve was by use of a rake (if I remember
correctly)..

The sieved compost fell straight into the barrow and was wheeled to where it
was required.

Bill

I used an old metal single bed frame with one of those springy chain
mail like mattress supports The wooden head and tail boards joined at
90 degrees and a couple of old chair legs have become a garden seat.
The sieve worked but was a little unwieldy so it has now been wrapped
around a plastic pallet and become a compost heap holder.

G.Harman