Old 24-01-2012, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fluffing up compost

A speaker at our gardening club told us (and showed us an example) that he
puts newly bought bags of compost through his shredder. This "fluffs up"
the compost to a fine tilth removing the compacted lumps one tends to get.

If this sounds daft to some of you, I'm only relating what the speaker said.
Please don't shoot the messenger :-)

Bill

Old 25-01-2012, 08:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 24, 9:53*pm, "Bill Grey" wrote:
A speaker at our gardening club told us (and showed us an example) that he
puts newly bought bags of compost through his shredder. *This "fluffs up"
the compost to a fine tilth removing the compacted lumps one tends to get..

If this sounds daft to some of you, I'm only relating what the speaker said.
Please don't shoot the messenger :-)

Bill

Use your own compost or the stuff from the recycle centre. (£2/big bag
round our way.)
Put it through the riddle. Much cheaper all round.
Old 25-01-2012, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

harry wrote:
Use your own compost or the stuff from the recycle centre. (?2/big bag
round our way.)
Put it through the riddle. Much cheaper all round.

Lot more effort, though. I riddled all the soil into our potatoes last
year, I was knackered. :-(
Old 25-01-2012, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote in message
On Jan 24, 9:53 pm, "Bill Grey" wrote:
A speaker at our gardening club told us (and showed us an example) that he
puts newly bought bags of compost through his shredder. This "fluffs up"
the compost to a fine tilth removing the compacted lumps one tends to get.

If this sounds daft to some of you, I'm only relating what the speaker
said.
Please don't shoot the messenger :-)

Bill

Use your own compost or the stuff from the recycle centre. (£2/big bag
round our way.)
Put it through the riddle. Much cheaper all round

..Hi Harry, good advice, and I do use compost from oue local recycling
centre, and riddling gets rid of excessive bits of stick.. BTW it's free !!

Not the point of my post really, but thanks anyway

Bill

Old 25-01-2012, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
harry wrote:
Use your own compost or the stuff from the recycle centre. (?2/big bag
round our way.)
Put it through the riddle. Much cheaper all round.

Lot more effort, though. I riddled all the soil into our potatoes last
year, I was knackered. :-(

You need to make yourself one of these -

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...Picture005.jpg

Steve

Old 26-01-2012, 08:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote in message

wrote in message
harry wrote:
Use your own compost or the stuff from the recycle centre. (?2/big bag
round our way.)
Put it through the riddle. Much cheaper all round.

Lot more effort, though. I riddled all the soil into our potatoes last
year, I was knackered. :-(

You need to make yourself one of these -

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...Picture005.jpg

Steve

Great piece of machinery. One problem. Storage when not in use!

Mike

Old 26-01-2012, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/01/2012 08:02, 'Mike' wrote:

wrote in message

wrote in message
Use your own compost or the stuff from the recycle centre. (?2/big bag
round our way.)
Put it through the riddle. Much cheaper all round.

Lot more effort, though. I riddled all the soil into our potatoes last
year, I was knackered. :-(

You need to make yourself one of these -

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...Picture005.jpg

Great piece of machinery. One problem. Storage when not in use!

Make it in two halves and use it as a rabbit hutch or chicken run.

Alternatively commandeer the kids'
swing.http://rossnareedig.files.wordpress....07/sieve_1.jpg
--
Phil Cook
Old 26-01-2012, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote in message

wrote in message
harry wrote:
Use your own compost or the stuff from the recycle centre. (?2/big bag
round our way.)
Put it through the riddle. Much cheaper all round.

Lot more effort, though. I riddled all the soil into our potatoes last
year, I was knackered. :-(

You need to make yourself one of these -

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...Picture005.jpg

Steve

A planstman at a garden centre was sieving some compost by shovelling the
compost on to a rectangular frame about 4ft x 3" covered with a suitable
mesh. The front was supported by two legs about 2 ft high, and the back
legs were a bit higher - high enough to wheel a wheel barrow under the sieve
frame. This takes longer to write about than if it was a sketch. Working
the compost through the sieve was by use of a rake (if I remember
correctly)..

The sieved compost fell straight into the barrow and was wheeled to where it
was required.

Bill

Old 27-01-2012, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 17:26:01 -0000, "Bill Grey"
wrote:

"shazzbat" wrote in message

wrote in message
harry wrote:
[...]

I used an old metal single bed frame with one of those springy chain
mail like mattress supports The wooden head and tail boards joined at
90 degrees and a couple of old chair legs have become a garden seat.
The sieve worked but was a little unwieldy so it has now been wrapped
around a plastic pallet and become a compost heap holder.

G.Harman