Old 27-01-2012, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Really good gardening speaker

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Pam Moore
writes
Ray Broughton has been on GQT a few times in the past. I liked his
knowledge and attitude then and wish they'd have him on more.

Pam in Bristol

He was very entertaining and very knowledgeable/
Another tip he gave was
He says white flowered runner beans are self pollinating so you always
get a better crop than the red ones . Apparently the red ones were brought
in as the Victorians liked the colourful display.

Also top o non homogenised full fat milk is excellent at destroying slugs
eggs and insects as it has B6 in it or it may have been the protein that
nackers the keratin in insect parts.
Also good for spraying over plants to kill red spider mite etc. in
greenhouse BUT needs to be only touch sprayed (not drenched) not in middle
of day or sunshine and need to clean out sprayer afterwards.

Showed us his students experiment with cuttings, taken from top of plant
gives spindly 'car boot sale' plant, taken from bottom gives smallish
plant but taken from middle of shrub gives a really good quality new
plant. (Well it the cutting takes i suppose)

Have asked for his fact sheet - he said most people couldn't take down
notes quick enough to get all the details so he has printed a sheet out. I
did get most down but will wait for his proper leaflet as many tips
involved chemistry/physics knowledge.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Thanks for posting this, I have passed it on to our Secretary for the
Cornwall HPS group (no longer my wife but we know how hard it is to get good
suggestions)

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs