Old 27-01-2012, 01:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Really good gardening speaker

Have just been to our monthly gardening meeting. It was on
Chrysanthemums, a topic not to set my world alight but i had the tea
things and had done all the printing for the new year like diaries etc.
so had to go.
Speaker was amazing. Quick whizz through Chrysanthemums and then onto
the other part of his talk (topical tips and new ideas)

he gave us more ideas and new ways to combat stuff like whitefly, red
spider mite, moss, drainage runner beans etc. than we could ever
imagine. Everyone was spellbo8nd as he came out with tip after tip.
How to kill earthworms sorts.

He lecturers as Sparsholt college and actually has made up a lot of fact
sheets to help people. He sends these out to groups and societies etc.
and only asks that a contribution be made to a charity of your choice in
return,
His name was Ray Boughton and if you can get him for your club he is
very worthwhile.
If you want to get his fact sheets then email him on

he comes to horticulture from a science perspective so gave us ideas
like watering/spraying at half dilution Iron sulphate in autumn (not
summer) to lessen worm casts . well worms i suppose.

Also Tagetes are good for keeping away white fly and red spider mite but
after research they discovered that it is the DEAD flowers that give off
the chemical that deters them not the lives flowers.

Did you know chrysanthemums can be killed by being near fruit as the
ethylene can harm them?

Oh well he gave us hundreds of little tips like that but in a very
entertaining in easy manner - so though i am quick to deride certain
speakers (of whom I am not speaking at the moment but include some VERY
well known personalities on the speaker circuit) I would like to also be
as quick in praising good speakers.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 27-01-2012, 02:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
How to kill earthworms sorts.

Oh bother, i didn't say that, for some reason a whole chunk came out, i
said
how to kill slugs and snails by killing their eggs, (put top of non
homogenised thick cream from milk onto eggs, kills them) something to do
with B6 protein and not B7

and how to deter earthworms of sorts.

(Sorry about that, since changing my local network over three computers
i seem to lose chunks of stuff every now and again!)
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 27-01-2012, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 01:56:26 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

[...]

Ray Broughton has been on GQT a few times in the past. I liked his
knowledge and attitude then and wish they'd have him on more.

Pam in Bristol
Old 27-01-2012, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Pam Moore
writes
Ray Broughton has been on GQT a few times in the past. I liked his
knowledge and attitude then and wish they'd have him on more.

Pam in Bristol

He was very entertaining and very knowledgeable/
Another tip he gave was
He says white flowered runner beans are self pollinating so you always
get a better crop than the red ones . Apparently the red ones were
brought in as the Victorians liked the colourful display.

Also top o non homogenised full fat milk is excellent at destroying
slugs eggs and insects as it has B6 in it or it may have been the
protein that nackers the keratin in insect parts.
Also good for spraying over plants to kill red spider mite etc. in
greenhouse BUT needs to be only touch sprayed (not drenched) not in
middle of day or sunshine and need to clean out sprayer afterwards.

Showed us his students experiment with cuttings, taken from top of plant
gives spindly 'car boot sale' plant, taken from bottom gives smallish
plant but taken from middle of shrub gives a really good quality new
plant. (Well it the cutting takes i suppose)

Have asked for his fact sheet - he said most people couldn't take down
notes quick enough to get all the details so he has printed a sheet out.
I did get most down but will wait for his proper leaflet as many tips
involved chemistry/physics knowledge.
Old 27-01-2012, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Pam Moore
writes
[...]

Thanks for posting this, I have passed it on to our Secretary for the
Cornwall HPS group (no longer my wife but we know how hard it is to get good
suggestions)

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 27-01-2012, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Charlie Pridham
writes
Thanks for posting this, I have passed it on to our Secretary for the
Cornwall HPS group (no longer my wife but we know how hard it is to get
good suggestions)

On that basis I would also recommend Val Bourne, and Fergus from Great
Dixter.
Rosie Hardy brings lovely plants as does Bob Brown.
Old 28-01-2012, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Charlie Pridham
writes
Thanks for posting this, I have passed it on to our Secretary for the
Cornwall HPS group (no longer my wife but we know how hard it is to get
good suggestions)

On that basis I would also recommend Val Bourne, and Fergus from Great
Dixter.
Rosie Hardy brings lovely plants as does Bob Brown.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

We have had all of those, and I agree, all good speakers.