Old 20-04-2003, 02:32 PM
Right Star

Default Pumpkin leaves

I liked it, and would like to grow the stuff
myself, but wonder if there is any
specific variety of pumpkin or will
anything in the squash family work? Anyone
have any experience with this?

Nope. Any will do, just eat 'em whilst they're young and tender.

Brina

Wow! Wish I'd known this earlier. You cannot believe the number of
pumpkin leaves I've cut and tossed from the garden. Two sugar pumpkin
plants three years ago have multiplied into more than can be given away
(plants or pumpkins). They really do like to "take over" the garden. I
learned the first year to not plant them in the regular garden, but the
volunteers that I didn't have the heart to pull kinda overwhelmed the
garden after I left only four plants there.

Looks like I'll try pumpkin leaves this year. Anyone have suggestions as
to how they are best served? (Vinegar like spinach, or butter, or ... ?)

Glenna

Well, its not much help, but here's the reply I just got from friends in
Bangladesh:

Cooking pumpkin greens? Oh any of about 1,243 ways. Boiling is OK, Stir fried
probably a bit tastier, either alone or with potatoes or tomatoes. Its only
greens, you can use your imagination with it.