Old 30-01-2012, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default can't win

On 30/01/2012 13:29, Jake wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 13:36:18 +0100, wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 11:38:13 +0000, stuart noble
wrote:

I thought with a mild winter the violas would do well. Now I see a few
of them are smothered in aphids, and the small leaf size makes it
difficult to treat them in any way. Surprised to see them this early,
but this winter has been full of surprises.

We saw tits picking insects off trees and plants at the weekend.
Midges are out and about.

And lily beetle here!

Cheers, Jake
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay where
the four seasons are salt,pepper,mustard and vinegar.

But, for the first time this winter, blackbirds are now gobbling the
pyracantha berries. Ominous