Old 30-01-2012, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default can't win

I thought with a mild winter the violas would do well. Now I see a few
of them are smothered in aphids, and the small leaf size makes it
difficult to treat them in any way. Surprised to see them this early,
but this winter has been full of surprises.
Old 30-01-2012, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/01/2012 13:29, Jake wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 13:36:18 +0100, wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 11:38:13 +0000, stuart noble
wrote:

I thought with a mild winter the violas would do well. Now I see a few
of them are smothered in aphids, and the small leaf size makes it
difficult to treat them in any way. Surprised to see them this early,
but this winter has been full of surprises.

We saw tits picking insects off trees and plants at the weekend.
Midges are out and about.

And lily beetle here!

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay where
the four seasons are salt,pepper,mustard and vinegar.

But, for the first time this winter, blackbirds are now gobbling the
pyracantha berries. Ominous
Old 30-01-2012, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I thought with a mild winter the violas would do well. Now I see a few
of them are smothered in aphids, and the small leaf size makes it
difficult to treat them in any way. Surprised to see them this early,
but this winter has been full of surprises.

I fetched some leaves in to look at under a microscope yesterday. Was
a minute or three into looking at them when I realised I'd got a
greenfly mooching about on my desk.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 30-01-2012, 09:21 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart noble View Post

But, for the first time this winter, blackbirds are now gobbling the
pyracantha berries. Ominous
My blackbirds have changed behaviour - for the first time ever, they are eating the yellow holly berries. And the pink/white pernettya berries. But they're still ignoring the cotoneaster, which they always have regarded as inedible, along with Skimmia.
__________________
Old 30-01-2012, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kay" wrote in message

stuart noble;948774 Wrote:

But, for the first time this winter, blackbirds are now gobbling the
pyracantha berries. Ominous

My blackbirds have changed behaviour - for the first time ever, they are
eating the yellow holly berries. And the pink/white pernettya berries.
But they're still ignoring the cotoneaster, which they always have
regarded as inedible, along with Skimmia.

In my garden the cotoneaster are always left until last. The rowan (Joseph
Rock) are always the first and are gone by early December.
R.

Old 31-01-2012, 08:34 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Joseph Rock is yellow, isn't it? Maybe I've got an intelligent blackbird who has extrapolated from my yellow rowan berries (gone much earlier than December!) that yellow holly berries would also be good.

My first is always the redcurrants. Then cherries, amelanchier, and then the early Worcester apples. Then they take in the Rowans before returning to the rest of the apples.

Fun virtual gardening competition to win £10,000 Tulip Tam Marketplace 1 14-04-2009 12:13 PM
I can't win James Edible Gardening 6 24-09-2008 02:09 AM
'Monsanto is big. You can’t win. We will get you. You will pay.' Joe[_13_] Gardening 0 15-04-2008 12:11 AM
O/t Win a £6,000 Makeover Helen & Daniel United Kingdom 0 21-04-2003 11:56 PM
O/t Win a £6,000 Makeover janet.bennett United Kingdom 0 21-04-2003 11:56 PM