Old 30-01-2012, 11:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Willi Willi is offline

Default again: my epiphyllum grafting

Am 30.01.2012 22:50, schrieb Mad Cow:
In hway.telekom.at,
writes
One of my grafting experiments.
In April 2010 I grafted a piece of an epiphyllum on a Myrtillocactus. It
has not died yet, but there has not been much growth either except for a
tiny sprout in spring last year, which broke off (due to my clumsiness
. But there are small buds again this year at the uppermost eyes at
both sides. The scion at the right of the stock has grown last year.

Why graft epiphyllums?

I did it as an experiment, just trying if it would work. But it would
make sense too. You know that most epiphyllums have hanging leaves, so
if you keep them in an ordinary pot, the leaves bend down and the
flowers lie down on whatever the pot stands on. If one could cultivate
them on a trunk of a tall cactus, the leaves could hang down from the
top and the flowers were, let's say, in eye height. IMHO that would look
not too bad, like a palm tree with flowers in May. Watering would be no
problem too, as it is sometimes when you grow the epihyllum in a hanging
basket.

G Willi