Old 01-02-2012, 10:47 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina Websell View Post
"I've never lived in a house with central heating and when I was staying for several weeks with relatives recently who have, I nearly boiled; it was most unpleasant - I was literally wringing with sweat all the time.
That's nothing to do with central heating, it's simply over-heating, regardless of the method. I don't like being in over-heated houses, even though I have central heating in a very well insulated house. Good insulation makes a big difference to the level of comfort in a house regardless of how you heat it, and also to the cost of heating it. My father's main house is freezing because it is poorly insulated (and hard to rectify, 50's construction) and he keeps the central heating very low. His 18th C cottage has 2-ft thick solid walls, and it takes a couple of days in there to become comfortable because the cold walls make you feel cold even if all the heating is on.

At the end of the day, if you have access to a cheap/free solid fuel, that will be an economic method of keeping warm. For most of us, gas central heating is the economic method of heating. I recently put in a wood burner, mainly for the enjoyment of it, but also as a back-up for if there are power cuts, since my gas cH doesn't work without electricity. The boiler isn't so reliable either.