Old 31-01-2012, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Snow -- or No

This is not about central heating.
I don't have it, and I don't want it.

Taking the wife to hospital today for her Warfrin clinic I was
supprised to see just how much snow there was on the hills/mountains
around us, just a few of miles inland from Swansea Bay.
We are free of the stuff though it's cold, but above freezing.
Wd did have small grains falling almost all day yesterday, but they
were so few you could almost count them and they melted as they hit
the Mud.
David @ the wet end of Swansea Bay.
Old 31-01-2012, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
This is not about central heating.
I don't have it, and I don't want it.

Taking the wife to hospital today for her Warfrin clinic I was
supprised to see just how much snow there was on the hills/mountains
around us, just a few of miles inland from Swansea Bay.
We are free of the stuff though it's cold, but above freezing.
Wd did have small grains falling almost all day yesterday, but they
were so few you could almost count them and they melted as they hit
the Mud.
David @ the wet end of Swansea Bay.

Little flurry of snow here in Leics, but if you'd have blinked you'd have
missed it. We're having -2 ish overnight frosts atm and will all week,
apparently.
I'm interested that you have no central heating - I haven't and I don't want
it either.
How do you heat your house? I have a woodburner in the lounge & a gas fire
in the kitchen. 'Tis a bit nippy upstairs during the winter, it was 3C on my
landing when I got up this morning :-)
I've never lived in a house with central heating and when I was staying for
several weeks with relatives recently who have, I nearly boiled; it was
most unpleasant - I was literally wringing with sweat all the time.

Old 31-01-2012, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
[...]

For some years, I rented a flat in Greenich. The bed had 2 legs and 2 beer
crates. There was a gas fire in the front room....thats it! All the windows
had to be scraped of ice in the morning. You know.....I loved living there.
Pete C

Old 31-01-2012, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 22:11:36 -0000, "Pete C"
wrote:

I've never lived in a house with central heating and when I was staying
for several weeks with relatives recently who have, I nearly boiled; it
was most unpleasant - I was literally wringing with sweat all the time.

For some years, I rented a flat in Greenich. The bed had 2 legs and 2 beer
crates. There was a gas fire in the front room....thats it! All the windows
had to be scraped of ice in the morning. You know.....I loved living there.
Pete C

Is that because the beer crates were full?

I was fortunate to work for a Brewery in my late teens and early
twenties. Got an allowance of 4 dozen cans a month and more
occasionally. Didn't actually drink that much at home so the packs of
cans were used as a TV stand. The TV rose up and down indicating
consumption by visitors and myself , similar to a gasholder in a way
and like a one of those would frequently be at it's lowest after a
good Sunday Lunch and afternoon.

G.Harman

Old 01-02-2012, 12:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
[...]

You did not die of cold and we never did with no central heating/

Old 01-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina Websell View Post
"I've never lived in a house with central heating and when I was staying for several weeks with relatives recently who have, I nearly boiled; it was most unpleasant - I was literally wringing with sweat all the time.
That's nothing to do with central heating, it's simply over-heating, regardless of the method. I don't like being in over-heated houses, even though I have central heating in a very well insulated house. Good insulation makes a big difference to the level of comfort in a house regardless of how you heat it, and also to the cost of heating it. My father's main house is freezing because it is poorly insulated (and hard to rectify, 50's construction) and he keeps the central heating very low. His 18th C cottage has 2-ft thick solid walls, and it takes a couple of days in there to become comfortable because the cold walls make you feel cold even if all the heating is on.

At the end of the day, if you have access to a cheap/free solid fuel, that will be an economic method of keeping warm. For most of us, gas central heating is the economic method of heating. I recently put in a wood burner, mainly for the enjoyment of it, but also as a back-up for if there are power cuts, since my gas cH doesn't work without electricity. The boiler isn't so reliable either.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
This is not about central heating.
I don't have it, and I don't want it.

Taking the wife to hospital today for her Warfrin clinic I was
supprised to see just how much snow there was on the hills/mountains
around us, just a few of miles inland from Swansea Bay.
We are free of the stuff though it's cold, but above freezing.
Wd did have small grains falling almost all day yesterday, but they
were so few you could almost count them and they melted as they hit
the Mud.
David @ the wet end of Swansea Bay.

Qutie right about the snow David. The hills around Clydach have a dusting
of snow on their summits..

Seems to be worse, the further up the valley to the Beacons. The Brecon
Mountain Rescue Team will be pracising their winter/snow skills this
evening.

Bill