Old 06-02-2012, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim Chisholm Jim Chisholm is offline

Default Snow and netting/mesh/fleece?

On 05/02/2012 11:16, wrote:
In ,
Jim wrote:

Last years snow rested on my netting over cabbages etc., but last nights
(100mm+) went straight through.

It depends a lot on the mesh size. It didn't on mine.

Mine is 'just' big enough to let cabbage whites through.. but great for
keeping pigeons off

On the other hand... the mesh over my broad beans, supported on hoops
(made of salvaged yellow plastic gas pipe) spaced 1m apart, was squashed
down.

Why you you net them? Deer? Pigeons and pheasants don't normally
go for them.

It helps them go on growing in poor weather and gives me a crop of beans
a little earlier

Have cleared snow,some of which went through mesh, and will need to wait
and see if there is damage to plants.

The previous frost was cold enough to start damaging most brassicas.
Only the very hardy ones will have been completely unaffected.

It's just (some) savoy cabbages and purple sprouting broccoli left under
netting

Don't think there will be much difference in the weather between
Nick's house and my allotment (about 3km distance and a few metres height!)

Jim