Old 09-02-2012, 11:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Gardening Book –*Help?

On 2/9/12 8:03 AM, statcus wrote:
Hi all,

I am a writer and want to put together a book about gardening in the UK
from a new and interesting angle. I have a publisher interested in
commissioning a gardening book but need to come up with a list of ideas
/ angles. I thought I would ask... are there any books you would like to
see available that don't exist? Can't think of anywhere better to ask
than on here

Any help or ideas are much appreciated. Thank you. Kate

I suggest you find a copy of Sunset's "Western Garden Book", which is
the gardening bible for anyone in or west of the Rocky Mountains in the
U.S. and Canada. It doesn't have to be the latest edition. I very much
like its layout and information.

I'm sure the UK can be divided into several climate zones, not merely
based on hardiness but also based on winds, humidity, summer heat, etc.
An encyclopedia of plants suitable for the UK is, of course, required.
Sections on techniques for planting and pest control are usually
needed. A summary section on plant selection -- seasonal color,
effects, etc -- is also a very good idea. All of these are found in
"Western Garden Book".

As long as you independently develop the content, I don't think using
Sunset's layout would violate any copyright. But you might want to
contact Sunset about that.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see