Old 09-02-2012, 04:03 PM
Registered User

Lightbulb Gardening Book –*Help?

Hi all,

I am a writer and want to put together a book about gardening in the UK from a new and interesting angle. I have a publisher interested in commissioning a gardening book but need to come up with a list of ideas / angles. I thought I would ask... are there any books you would like to see available that don't exist? Can't think of anywhere better to ask than on here

Any help or ideas are much appreciated. Thank you. Kate
Old 09-02-2012, 09:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Gardening Book –*Help?

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 16:03:41 +0000, statcus
wrote:

Hi all,

I am a writer and want to put together a book about gardening in the UK
from a new and interesting angle. I have a publisher interested in
commissioning a gardening book but need to come up with a list of ideas
/ angles. I thought I would ask... are there any books you would like to
see available that don't exist?

Large Breasted Cleavage Planters.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/9/12 8:03 AM, statcus wrote:
Hi all,

I am a writer and want to put together a book about gardening in the UK
from a new and interesting angle. I have a publisher interested in
commissioning a gardening book but need to come up with a list of ideas
/ angles. I thought I would ask... are there any books you would like to
see available that don't exist? Can't think of anywhere better to ask
than on here

Any help or ideas are much appreciated. Thank you. Kate

I suggest you find a copy of Sunset's "Western Garden Book", which is
the gardening bible for anyone in or west of the Rocky Mountains in the
U.S. and Canada. It doesn't have to be the latest edition. I very much
like its layout and information.

I'm sure the UK can be divided into several climate zones, not merely
based on hardiness but also based on winds, humidity, summer heat, etc.
An encyclopedia of plants suitable for the UK is, of course, required.
Sections on techniques for planting and pest control are usually
needed. A summary section on plant selection -- seasonal color,
effects, etc -- is also a very good idea. All of these are found in
"Western Garden Book".

As long as you independently develop the content, I don't think using
Sunset's layout would violate any copyright. But you might want to
contact Sunset about that.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 10-02-2012, 08:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 09/02/2012 16:03, statcus wrote:
Hi all,

I am a writer and want to put together a book about gardening in the UK
from a new and interesting angle. I have a publisher interested in
commissioning a gardening book but need to come up with a list of ideas
/ angles. I thought I would ask... are there any books you would like to
see available that don't exist? Can't think of anywhere better to ask
than on here

Then you need to think again...

uk.rec.gardening is where you should be posting your message if you are
specifically looking at a book for the UK.

Any help or ideas are much appreciated. Thank you. Kate

I wish you luck in coming up with a new angle. The bookshops (including
the "remaindered" ones) are awash with gardening books. And don't
forget that you have to contend with the internet as a source of
information as well, and that is free.

Mind you, I have approaching 100 books of various sorts on plants. But
there always seems to be room for one more!

--

Jeff
Old 10-02-2012, 11:41 AM
Registered User

Thanks for your comments and advice, I really appreciate it. I realise how many books there are on gardening, but as you say, there will be more and some of them will sell really well, it's just trying to find a gap – no easy job

I will check out the book you mention, thanks.

Kate

Old 10-02-2012, 06:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/02/2012 11:41, statcus wrote:
Thanks for your comments and advice, I really appreciate it. I realise
how many books there are on gardening, but as you say, there will be
more and some of them will sell really well, it's just trying to find a
gap – no easy job

I will check out the book you mention, thanks.

Book?? It's a newsgroup like this one but for UK gardening.

--

Jeff
Old 13-02-2012, 10:17 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Layman[_2_] View Post
On 10/02/2012 11:41, statcus wrote:
Thanks for your comments and advice, I really appreciate it. I realise
how many books there are on gardening, but as you say, there will be
more and some of them will sell really well, it's just trying to find a
gap – no easy job

I will check out the book you mention, thanks.

Book?? It's a newsgroup like this one but for UK gardening.

--

Jeff
I was referring to the other post... which suggests I look at a book.