Old 10-02-2012, 07:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Baby Hebe

On Feb 9, 7:40*pm, Amos Nomore wrote:
In article
,
*Higgs Boson wrote:

I bought four of these from a reputable nursery and planted in front
porch planter box last year. *They did very well for months, until
(about 2 months ago) I noticed the far-right one was turning black (no
political implication intended g *This spread from R to L until all
four plants were completely black or getting that way.

I took them back to the nursery today. They were very nice, examined
the plants, looked up info, but came up with no clue as to what was
happening. *AFAIK, I gave them proper water and they got sun 3/4 day
in summer and 1/2 day in "winter".

I was concerned that the soil had been infected, but the other plants
seem fine.

Is this *too fragile a plant?...Or...? *Never saw anything so strange
as the R to L progression.

Any clues?

I suspect overwatering as the culprit and your planter has better
drainage to the left. *They like fairly lean soil on the dry side.

Astute suggestion, Kay; I put a level on the planter***but it's not
slanted. So it's possible that the drain hole on the L. is more open
than on the R, but I'm not turning over that puppy to check it out
g.

Nursery gave me credit for the $50+. Guess I will put in something
innocuous between the 3 vertical plants.

*** I made the planter in woodshop years ago, along with a computer
footstool which I designed to hold my feet at the exact comfort
angle. This is one of my great achievements -- along with installing
a bathroom faucet, and replacing the electronic lighter in my wall
oven. Maybe not much for a lifetime,
but, hey, for a not-so-handy person... But I probably will not have
these three engraved on my tombstone, for the reason that I will not
HAVE a tombstone.
Wish I could afford to have my ashes shot into space...