Old 10-02-2012, 02:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Baby Hebe

I bought four of these from a reputable nursery and planted in front
porch planter box last year. They did very well for months, until
(about 2 months ago) I noticed the far-right one was turning black (no
political implication intended g This spread from R to L until all
four plants were completely black or getting that way.

I took them back to the nursery today. They were very nice, examined
the plants, looked up info, but came up with no clue as to what was
happening. AFAIK, I gave them proper water and they got sun 3/4 day
in summer and 1/2 day in "winter".

I was concerned that the soil had been infected, but the other plants
seem fine.

Is this too fragile a plant?...Or...? Never saw anything so strange
as the R to L progression.

Any clues?

TIA

HB

Old 10-02-2012, 03:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

I bought four of these from a reputable nursery and planted in front
porch planter box last year. They did very well for months, until
(about 2 months ago) I noticed the far-right one was turning black (no
political implication intended g This spread from R to L until all
four plants were completely black or getting that way.

I took them back to the nursery today. They were very nice, examined
the plants, looked up info, but came up with no clue as to what was
happening. AFAIK, I gave them proper water and they got sun 3/4 day
in summer and 1/2 day in "winter".

I was concerned that the soil had been infected, but the other plants
seem fine.

Is this too fragile a plant?...Or...? Never saw anything so strange
as the R to L progression.

Any clues?

I suspect overwatering as the culprit and your planter has better
drainage to the left. They like fairly lean soil on the dry side.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

In message
,
Higgs Boson writes
I bought four of these from a reputable nursery and planted in front
porch planter box last year. They did very well for months, until
(about 2 months ago) I noticed the far-right one was turning black (no
political implication intended g This spread from R to L until all
four plants were completely black or getting that way.

I took them back to the nursery today. They were very nice, examined
the plants, looked up info, but came up with no clue as to what was
happening. AFAIK, I gave them proper water and they got sun 3/4 day
in summer and 1/2 day in "winter".

I was concerned that the soil had been infected, but the other plants
seem fine.

Is this too fragile a plant?...Or...? Never saw anything so strange
as the R to L progression.

Any clues?

How severe have the frosts been in your neck of the woods? (The right to
left progression might be due to a gradient in the degree of shelter.)

TIA

HB

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 10-02-2012, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 18:08:33 -0800 (PST), Higgs Boson wrote:
Is this too fragile a plant?...Or...? Never saw anything so strange
as the R to L progression.

You probably don't remember Dutch Elm disease... it spread in a linear fashion
down many, many streets. What happened is that the trees had formed natural
root grafts over the years, and when the fungus was introduced into one tree.
it would spread down the road via the root graphs.

That's the first explanation that pops to mind -- root grafting.

If it were indoors in an office, the first explation I'd explore there was
someone dumping their coffee cup or similar in one end of a planter
consistently. g

Kay

Old 10-02-2012, 07:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 10, 2:24*am, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message
,
Higgs Boson writes

[...]

NO FROST. Unlike David Ross, who is over the hill to a different microclimate, we at the beach do not get frost. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

HB

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 10-02-2012, 07:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 9, 7:40*pm, Amos Nomore wrote:
In article
,
*Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

Astute suggestion, Kay; I put a level on the planter***but it's not
slanted. So it's possible that the drain hole on the L. is more open
than on the R, but I'm not turning over that puppy to check it out
g.

Nursery gave me credit for the $50+. Guess I will put in something
innocuous between the 3 vertical plants.

*** I made the planter in woodshop years ago, along with a computer
footstool which I designed to hold my feet at the exact comfort
angle. This is one of my great achievements -- along with installing
a bathroom faucet, and replacing the electronic lighter in my wall
oven. Maybe not much for a lifetime,
but, hey, for a not-so-handy person... But I probably will not have
these three engraved on my tombstone, for the reason that I will not
HAVE a tombstone.
Wish I could afford to have my ashes shot into space...

Old 11-02-2012, 03:31 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
*Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

Hello. I'm the cleverest man on the planet. I am because of my ability to read people's minds. Right now you're thinking, "What the **** is going on?", right? Peace out. 8-)

[IMG] code is On

Hebe Andersonii Variegata Variegated Hebe Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 23-03-2010 09:41 AM
2 baby koi, 1 baby plant ~ janj Ponds 6 14-05-2006 12:42 AM
Hebe or not Hebe Twobtold Gardening 9 29-08-2004 08:33 PM
Hebe Autumn Glory ( problems) Please Help Evelyn Usher United Kingdom 1 09-06-2003 07:08 PM
Hebe - Pruning Jack United Kingdom 1 11-02-2003 09:23 AM