Old 20-04-2003, 07:20 PM

Default Reel Mowers, opinions wanted about 15" battery Gardena vs 20" manual Scotts

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003 05:48:38 +0000, lawn_newbi wrote:
sniped

My questions a

1) The Gardena's electric motor means that you personally don't have to
manually supply the energy needed to spin the cutting blades. Does that
make a noticeable/significant difference in the work needed to push the
mower?

2) The Scotts Classic is five inches wider than the Gardena. Which factor
saves more time mowing the lawn, the extra width of the Scotts or the
electric motor of the Gardena?

3) Is the extra cutting height of the Scotts, 3" vs the Gardena's 1 3/4",
a decisive factor?

I discovered something about scotts mowers that I think you might want to
know....
Scotts does NOT manufacture lawn mowers.

You're right. I didn't say so in my original post, but the Scotts
mower in the link that I included actually is sold here under a
private label called "Yard Works". I noticed that the Yard Works mower
was 20" wide and had the second set of wheels at the back, exactly the
same as the Scotts. I only included the link to the Scotts hoping that
US readers would be more familiar with the brand name.

I don't know for sure, but I several people have mentioned that the
manufacturer of the Scotts and almost every reel mower in the US is
actually American Lawn Mower Co., found he

http://www.reelin.com/amprod.htm

As far as gardena's go... I have 2 customers who own the non-electric
reels who are completly happy with them. I personally believe that you
should try to purchase the best you can affort and in this case my opinion
is Gardena....

Thanks. I have a few Gardena tools and found them to be entirely
satisfactory. The difference in price between the manual Gardena and
the electric motor model is less than $50 but I'm not sure if the $50
would be well spent or is just throwing money away buying trouble and
spending extra time.