Old 16-02-2012, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
RJS RJS is offline

Default Barbed Wire and the law

On Feb 15, 7:12*pm, Janet wrote:

* *I'd use stockfence posts hammered straight into the ground, rylock
stock fencing to exclude dogs/people rather than wire netting.It is much
more robust; and cheaper iirc (from an agricultural fencing contractor).
You will need a larger strainer post at each end/corner. If you want to
keep out rabbits, attach wire netting to the rylock.

* *When we came here the only boundary between us and the sheep meadow,
was a very gappy hawthorn hedge.. keeping dog in/sheep and hares out was
essential so we used wooden fencing posts (no metposts) rylock and rabbity
netting.

Any views about the use of the barbed wire

* Don't waste your money. It won't deter any determined human and dogs
won't try to jump over a fenced hedge. But it can do nasty damage to
innocent/accidental human or dog contact.

* *Janet

Thanks Janet

The dogs go through the gaps at the bottom of the hedge, so the
netting is a low-level obstruction for them.

Unfortunately I can't get the swing to hammer posts into the ground,
hence the Metposts.

Richard