Old 16-02-2012, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
RJS RJS is offline

Default Barbed Wire and the law

On Feb 15, 7:12*pm, Janet wrote:

* *I'd use stockfence posts hammered straight into the ground, rylock
stock fencing to exclude dogs/people rather than wire netting.It is much
more robust; and cheaper iirc (from an agricultural fencing contractor).
You will need a larger strainer post at each end/corner. If you want to
keep out rabbits, attach wire netting to the rylock.

* *When we came here the only boundary between us and the sheep meadow,
was a very gappy hawthorn hedge.. keeping dog in/sheep and hares out was
essential so we used wooden fencing posts (no metposts) rylock and rabbity
netting.

Any views about the use of the barbed wire

* Don't waste your money. It won't deter any determined human and dogs
won't try to jump over a fenced hedge. But it can do nasty damage to
innocent/accidental human or dog contact.

* *Janet

Thanks Janet

The dogs go through the gaps at the bottom of the hedge, so the
netting is a low-level obstruction for them.

Unfortunately I can't get the swing to hammer posts into the ground,
hence the Metposts.

Richard
Old 16-02-2012, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On Feb 16, 9:01*am, RJS wrote:
On Feb 15, 7:12*pm, Janet wrote:

[...]

Richard- Hide quoted text -

I think what you really need to do is have your hedge "layed". End of
problem.
You can DIY but it's hard and skilled work to look decent.
*
*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedge_laying
Old 20-02-2012, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

In article
, RJS
writes
The dogs go through the gaps at the bottom of the hedge, so the
netting is a low-level obstruction for them.

Unfortunately I can't get the swing to hammer posts into the ground,
hence the Metposts.

If it's the dogs you worry about then stock fencing would be fine.
Barbed wire won't keep much out in the way of humans as Janet said but
Stock fencing along a hedge however gappy would stop dogs getting
through and is considerably cheaper than chain link.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 21-02-2012, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 17:49:59 +0000, Janet Tweedy wrote:
If it's the dogs you worry about then stock fencing would be fine.
Barbed wire won't keep much out in the way of humans as Janet said but
Stock fencing along a hedge however gappy would stop dogs getting
through and is considerably cheaper than chain link.

Or deer fencing, given that there's an existing hedge - it works out to
about 9p/foot here.