Old 20-02-2012, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default 4 cotyledon tomato seedling!

On Feb 19, 12:34*pm, Flayme wrote:
Is this normal?

Hi, I am new to the forum and to growing tomatoes. I live in North
Norfolk, UK. I have planted half a dozen Garden Pearl tomato seeds. All
have germinated however, one seedling has 4 cotyledon leaves as opposed
to two. *Apart from the number of cotyledon leaves, the seedling looks
identical to the others. Is this normal or should I discard the seedling
as a mutation?

I have read some information about 3 leaf cotyledon seedlings but this
is very limited and I have found nothing on 4 leaf varieties.
Unfortunately I have been unable to access the FAQs so have not been
able to check these.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

--
Flayme

Abstract
We describe mutations of three genes in Arabidopsis thaliana—extra
cotyledon1 (xtc1), extra cotyledon2 (xtc2), and altered meristem
programming1 (amp1)—that transform leaves into cotyledons. In all
three of these mutations, this transformation is associated with a
change in the timing of events in embryogenesis. xtc1 and xtc2 delay
the morphogenesis of the embryo proper at the globular-to-heart
transition but permit the shoot apex to develop to an unusually
advanced stage late in embryogenesis. Both mutations have little or no
effect on seed maturation and do not affect the viability of the shoot
or the rate of leaf initiation after germination. amp1 perturbs the
pattern of cell division at an early globular stage, dramatically
increases the size of the shoot apex and, like xtc1 and xtc2, produces
enlarged leaf primordia during seed development. These unusual
phenotypes suggest that these genes play important regulatory roles in
embryogenesis and demonstrate that the development of the shoot apical
meristem and the development of the embryo proper are regulated by
independent processes that must be temporally coordinated to ensure
normal organ identity.