Old 20-02-2012, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Perennial Seeds

In message , ashyboi5000
writes

I'm very much an average gardener. Only really got into this year. I
bought a heated propagator and I've successfully grown some chilli and
pepper seedlings. Yes I started off early in the season! And got a
blueberry plant and a Weigela I'm both nursing. The garden is typically
the parents domain- I'm 23 and live at home- but currently staring out
to the back it's looking rather scruffy.

I'm now wanting some flowering plants, are perennials the ones that
flower year after year just so I am clear?

A perennial is a plant which lives for several years. In horticultural
usage, perennial often refers to a subset of these - hardy herbaceous
perennials -which excludes trees and shrubs, and commonly also other
groups of plants such as bulbs, or aquatic or marginal plants.

Most perennials do flower year after year, but there are exceptions.
Monocarpic perennials grow for several years before flowering and then
dieing.

Can anybody offer any advice for some seeds to get? Ideally I would
like
them to be evergreen too, to give some winter colour other than brown
and to flower each year. If possible I would like them to flower this
year too.

There seems to be loads out there and I would just be picking what I
like the looks of. Or is this the best thing to do?

A lot seem to say they flower second year, would they be safe outside
over winter in their first year?

A hardy perennial should overwinter OK (some are intolerant of winter
wet), a half-hardy perennial won't cope with a British winter, and a
tender perennial will struggle with a British summer.

A barage of questions but hopefully some-one can make some sense and be
able to give some advise.

Thanks.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley