Old 21-02-2012, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default "Ancient plants back to life after 30,000 frozen years "

On Feb 21, 6:44*pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message , Chris Hogg
writes

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 05:45:12 -0800 (PST), Dave Hill
wrote:

If they didn't 'come back to life', it would have raised questions as
to the point of the Svalbard international seed-vault being
established on Spitsbergen!
Seehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalbard_Global_Seed_Vault

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

What are you talking about?

Only that frozen seed does survive for long periods, although I admit
that 30,000 years is impressive. I suspect the more unusual thing is
that they survived at all. Seed of that age must be virtually unheard
of.

It wasn't seeds that survived. The seeds failed to geminate. What they
managed to do was regenerate plants by tissue culture from part of the
fruit (the placenta).
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley- Hide quoted text -

Now they need to do the same for thes quirrels!
Or the T. Rex?