Old 21-02-2012, 07:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default "Ancient plants back to life after 30,000 frozen years "

Remarkable!

"Scientists in Russia have grown plants from fruit stored away in
permafrost by squirrels over 30,000 years ago.

The fruit was found in the banks of the Kolmya River in Siberia, a top
site for people looking for mammoth bones...

....Prior to this, the record lay with date palm seeds stored for 2,000
years at Masada in Israel..."

Doug.
Old 21-02-2012, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

If they didn't 'come back to life', it would have raised questions as
to the point of the Svalbard international seed-vault being
established on Spitsbergen!
Seehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalbard_Global_Seed_Vault

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

What are you talking about?
I don't think that the squirrels over 30,000 years ago had the same
technology as the Svalbard international seed-vault will have.
Also I dont think anyone is thinking of 30'000 years time.
Old 21-02-2012, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 05:45:12 -0800 (PST), Dave Hill
wrote:

If they didn't 'come back to life', it would have raised questions as
to the point of the Svalbard international seed-vault being
established on Spitsbergen!
Seehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalbard_Global_Seed_Vault

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

What are you talking about?

Only that frozen seed does survive for long periods, although I admit
that 30,000 years is impressive. I suspect the more unusual thing is
that they survived at all. Seed of that age must be virtually unheard
of.

It wasn't seeds that survived. The seeds failed to geminate. What they
managed to do was regenerate plants by tissue culture from part of the
fruit (the placenta).
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 21-02-2012, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Stewart Robert Hinsley- Hide quoted text -

Now they need to do the same for thes quirrels!
Or the T. Rex?