Old 21-04-2003, 12:11 AM
Essjay001

Default Humane control of rats

You're talking about rats. There are more rats than people in this country.
Just kill them and be done with.

Mimi De Moratti scribbled:

My house is surrounded by livestock and buildings that contain their
straw/hay etc. My house is wooden and I have two sheds in the garden,
which is part woodland. Rats have come in from the fields and took
residence in the compost heap. I have cleared it away but they have
tunelled under my house and sheds. I have a few birdfeeders and a
huge amount of visitors but have special 'escaped seed' catchers
underneath for minimal spillage. I have tried everything to disuade
the rats. I don't want to poison them as it is a slow and painful
death, I imagine (or am I wrong?). And I have shrews and a badger who
comes every night. I do worry about my birds' health, under the
circumstances, and the security of their nests. Does anyone know of a
humane way of getting rid of the rats? There are too many now to trap
and release elsewhere. I would really appreciate some help. I've
looked at the FAQs but it wasn't covered.