Old 21-02-2012, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Perennial Seeds

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 18:10:26 +0000, ashyboi5000
wrote:

Thanks guys, a lot of questions and a lot of answers!

I would say we have either silty or sandy soil, going by the BBC
description and the pictures.
I'm based in Edinburgh.

I've taken enjoyment out of growing the chilli and pepper seeds, and
which to carry this on and expand into other areas. So thought seeds
would be a cheap way to get some flowers back in the garden.

So looks like I am hunting for hardy perenials then. Neighbours have a
huge different type of gardens. From the classic "oap" garden to more
modern garden of palm tree (well it's not one, but forgot what it is)
and slightly exotic looking flowers. Further along there's one that
looks quite country cottage in appearance, and bedding plants are
favoured quite a lot!

Thanks for coming back to say thanks - so many don't bother. The
"palm" may be a cordyline australis (look it up online) though this is
not totally hardy and it may be that if it is what I suggest it is,
you've got a nice little micro-climate in your part of Edinburgh.

I'll make a guess that silty/sandy means you've got a fairly neutral
soil and so can grow a wide range of plants. But, without testing the
pH, I'd suggest you avoid any plants that require acid conditions to
grow best.

So chat to the neighbours. Get cheeky and ask them for "root
divisions" and the like. They may say no but if you don't ask, you
don't get.

You've mentioned a "country cottage" garden. So-called cottage gardens
use a mix of perennials and annuals to achieve an effect. If lucky,
the annuals will self seed each year so it's a case of sow once and
let nature take its course for years afterwards. Check your local
garden centre - they will probably sell a packet of "cottage garden"
seeds which you can sow in the ground.

Finally, I'll give you a shameless plug. There's a weekly mag out
called Amateur Gardening. Works out about £2 an issue on the
newsstands but for much of the year you get a free pack of seeds with
every issue. If you subscribe, the cost over a year is less than the
worth of the freebie seeds. Plus you get loads of tips on how to grow
stuff. Check it out.

And again, good luck. Remember we're here to help.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.

I'm having a panic - noticed some water in the pond
in between the frog spawn.