Old 21-04-2003, 12:21 AM
Paul Kelly

Default Walls, rendering and Ground Force

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
. 222...
"Paul Kelly" wrote in
:

I don't know how it is done, but I think your theory about having to
damp proof course it is wrong.

All depends on ground conditions and site drainage, but a wall without dpc
*will* take up moisture from the ground, and a retaining wall without
vertical dpc / tanking *will* take in moisture from the rear.

Brick walls so built often show efflorescence from the ground up, or
throughout for retaining walls. Rendered block walls are at risk of frost
damage.

Houses have dpc's to stop ground water take up by capillary action, exactly
the same applies to garden walls. In most cases it matters not, my raised
bed walls do not have tanking but I used recovered brick and sought a
weathered rustic look. The same wall built in new brick with no tanking
would have effloresced badly and looked crappy.

pk