Old 29-02-2012, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim xzy Jim xzy is offline

Default Questions re planting potatoes

Hi all,

I have a question or three about planting potatoes. I bought three types of
seed potatoes from a local garden centre, a few weeks ago. About 10% of one
bag started sprouting in the bag, I noticed. I placed those in egg boxes in
a well-lit place (not directly sunlit). The sprouts continued growing
(slowly) for a couple of weeks and the sproutings mostly turned a very dark
colour (purple-blackish). Is this normal? Are these spuds stull plantable?

I also chitted some sprouting spuds that came from a supermarket, and the
sprouts on those also also mostly turned a very dark colour.

I went ahead and planted them all anyway, today.

What about the ones that haven't produced any sprouts? Can I plant them, or
should I wait for them to sprout, before planting?

The instructions on the bags of seed potatoes tell me not to divide each
spud, but plant whole. This contradicts people who tell me I can divide
each one up, into parts, as long as each part has a couple of eyes.

Can someone clarify?

Thank you,

Jim