Old 29-02-2012, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Questions re planting potatoes

Hi all,

I have a question or three about planting potatoes. I bought three types of
seed potatoes from a local garden centre, a few weeks ago. About 10% of one
bag started sprouting in the bag, I noticed. I placed those in egg boxes in
a well-lit place (not directly sunlit). The sprouts continued growing
(slowly) for a couple of weeks and the sproutings mostly turned a very dark
colour (purple-blackish). Is this normal? Are these spuds stull plantable?

I also chitted some sprouting spuds that came from a supermarket, and the
sprouts on those also also mostly turned a very dark colour.

I went ahead and planted them all anyway, today.

What about the ones that haven't produced any sprouts? Can I plant them, or
should I wait for them to sprout, before planting?

The instructions on the bags of seed potatoes tell me not to divide each
spud, but plant whole. This contradicts people who tell me I can divide
each one up, into parts, as long as each part has a couple of eyes.

Can someone clarify?

Thank you,

Jim

Old 29-02-2012, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jim xzy" wrote in message
. 4.11...
[...]

Dark coloured sprouts, or chits as they are called, are not a problem. They
are different colours according to variety. As long as they don't turn brown
and crispy you're OK.

Opinions are divided on cutting the spuds to produce more. Cutting can allow
infection to get in, but mostly they seem to survive, as you'll find out if
there are potato peelings in your compost. Usually I don't bother unless I'm
a couple short to complete a row.

Steve

Old 29-02-2012, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jim xzy wrote in
. 4.11:

Hi all,

I have a question or three about planting potatoes. I bought three
types of seed potatoes from a local garden centre, a few weeks ago.
About 10% of one bag started sprouting in the bag, I noticed. I placed
those in egg boxes in a well-lit place (not directly sunlit). The
sprouts continued growing (slowly) for a couple of weeks and the
sproutings mostly turned a very dark colour (purple-blackish). Is this
normal? Are these spuds stull plantable?

That is normal and you would expect it.

What about the ones that haven't produced any sprouts? Can I plant
them, or should I wait for them to sprout, before planting?

They will grow just the same, but the ones with sprouts have a head start
and you should be able to harvest them a bit earlier than the others.

The instructions on the bags of seed potatoes tell me not to divide
each spud, but plant whole. This contradicts people who tell me I can
divide each one up, into parts, as long as each part has a couple of
eyes.

The instructions on the bag are (I think) discouraging you because they
simply want you to buy more seed potatoes. I divide mine and have not had a
single problem in my 5 or is it 6? years of doing it.

Hope it all goes well Jim.

Baz
Old 29-02-2012, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Cutting seed potatoes into segments, and even eating some, was a common
practice during the War. I do an illustrated talk to WI's and Ladies Groups
such as Townswomen's Guilds on Food Rationing during World War II and this
is one of the things which I mention.

Mike

Old 29-02-2012, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks, Baz, Steve and Mike for clearing that up! Now I am much more
hopeful that fresh potatoes will be in the making shortly!

Jim

Old 29-02-2012, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jim xzy wrote in
. 4.11:

Thanks, Baz, Steve and Mike for clearing that up! Now I am much more
hopeful that fresh potatoes will be in the making shortly!

Jim

They are in the making NOW, you planted them.

I am assuming that you are a "New" veg. gardener. If not ignore this below
and not an insult to you.

What are you like with peas and broad beans? Do you and your family like
them? If you do like them get them in now to coincide with the new
potatoes.

My favourite meal is boiled new potatoes, broad beans and peas. With butter
and mint. No meat. I would eat that every day if seasons would allow.

Baz
Old 29-02-2012, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/02/2012 13:02, Baz wrote:
Jim wrote in
. 4.11:

Thanks, Baz, Steve and Mike for clearing that up! Now I am much more
hopeful that fresh potatoes will be in the making shortly!

Jim

They are in the making NOW, you planted them.

I am assuming that you are a "New" veg. gardener. If not ignore this below
and not an insult to you.

What are you like with peas and broad beans? Do you and your family like
them? If you do like them get them in now to coincide with the new
potatoes.

My favourite meal is boiled new potatoes, broad beans and peas. With butter
and mint. No meat. I would eat that every day if seasons would allow.

Baz

When cutting seed potatoes my father always rubbed the cut are in the
soil, maintaining this decreased the chance of the failing. True or not
I do not know, but I do this with mine and seem to get no failures.

Old 29-02-2012, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Moonraker" wrote in message
On 29/02/2012 13:02, Baz wrote:
Jim wrote in
. 4.11:

[...]

Soil or soot? I seem to remember the latter, BUT, we did have open fires
then and we are talking coal soot

Mike

Old 01-03-2012, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Baz wrote in
:

Jim xzy wrote in
. 4.11:

Thanks, Baz, Steve and Mike for clearing that up! Now I am much more
hopeful that fresh potatoes will be in the making shortly!

Jim

They are in the making NOW, you planted them.

I am assuming that you are a "New" veg. gardener.

I am; I did it one other time, four years ago.

What are you like with peas and broad beans? Do you and your family
like them? If you do like them get them in now to coincide with the
new potatoes.

I alredy did! (16 Broad beans, at least... I'll plant more later)

My favourite meal is boiled new potatoes, broad beans and peas. With
butter and mint. No meat. I would eat that every day if seasons would
allow.

That's interesting; I must try that. I am a vegetarian, and if I can make
a satisfying meal from what I grow, I'll be happy.

I never had any success with peas when I tried before. I can't remember the
details.

Jim