Old 02-03-2012, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Keeping water butt water safe for drinking?

In article ,
AL_n wrote:
"'Mike'" wrote in
:

No way would I want to drink from my butt. Have you seen the wrigglies
in it? And the moss which comes off the roof?

I have tried filtering the water as it goes INTO the butt
........................... failed

Yes, I'm aware of the wrigglies etc. That's exactly what I'm concerned
about. I guess Jake's suggestion of filtering at the outlet is the answer.

The wrigglies are not a problem - they are just good protein. It's
the invisible nasties in the bird crap that is the issue. Even if
you are someone who regards salmonella as an acceptable part of your
diet (yes, there are plenty of us who do), birds can carry worse
things.

I think one can make an effective filtration system out of sand and
charcoal, IIRC.

You can. But you need more of them than most people want to allocate
the space for.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.